Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-10-2016, 05:31 AM   #2661

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xpit77 View Post
Being towed to my indy to have ignition switch replaced. I know it`s a DYI job but at 62 my body won`t contort enough.
Here`s the best part. They key won`t go into the tumbler. When I did get it out the steering won`t lock. And because its tip I cant get it into N. So no flatbed. Then when they get it to the shop they have to back it in the bay.$40 part 100 labor. Free tow thanks to CAA.
I ended up doing it myself. Just a real treat to do. I now have SKS ( scraped knuckle syndrome ) Oh it`s easy they wrote.

95 Integra Solo I sold
71 Opel GT sold
Xpit77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2016, 05:38 AM   #2662

Cut off some rattly heat shields. I think I still have some rattles. I'm going to go for a drive shortly.
alm001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2016, 05:45 AM   #2663
2003 Base 5-speed

Garage
Quote:
I ended up doing it myself. Just a real treat to do. I now have SKS ( scraped knuckle syndrome ) Oh it`s easy they wrote.
It's never easy! Hope my 13 year old ignition holds out a little longer.
grc0456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2016, 05:28 PM   #2664

Not mine but followed this one home with the wifey from the beach, if there's a will the Box will provide a way!
Old 07-11-2016, 05:20 AM   #2665
Yeast Rancher

My coolant tank decided to spring a leak a few weeks ago. Replaced the tank over the weekend along with the water pump, low temp thermostat, belt and fresh coolant. It runs cooler that it ever has.

I was seriously suffering from withdrawal. I don't know how you guys who store your Boxster for the winter can stand it.
Beer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2016, 01:02 PM   #2666

Freshly waxed

Last edited by I_like_tacos; 07-11-2016 at 01:21 PM.
I_like_tacos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2016, 04:14 PM   #2667

Half way completed backup camera install.

Earlier I added a Pioneer NEX-6200 which has an input for a backup camera so what the heck.

Picked up a Clarion camera, with distance markers, which seemed to get pretty good reviews.

https://www.amazon.com/Clarion-Corporation-America-CC510-Automotive/dp/B00B43LK7E

The really nice thing about the camera is the connector that is attached to the camera is really narrow and I was able to thread through the same grommet that contains the license plate light wiring. There was a second really small hole in the upper left corner of the trunk that lead into the engine bay. I put a grommet in that hole so the wire wouldn't abrade.

That was all for tonight.

Tomorrow I'll route it from there up to the radio.

Last edited by Disaster; 07-13-2016 at 12:07 PM. Reason: add photo
Disaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2016, 06:24 PM   #2668

Found out my top is now non-op. :/

At least I have a hardtop...
onefasazn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2016, 08:04 PM   #2669

Quote:
Originally Posted by grc0456 View Post
Me too. Wash, Machine Polish (had been clayed recently), Klasse All-In-One, and topped it off with a nice Best in Show carnuba. Last weekend I cleaned an painted the calipers, applied new decals, and topped with clear coat. And a few days ago I cleaned, spot re-colored, and conditioned the leather surfaces. Baby looks pretty good for 13 years old
Uh, that doesn't look "great" for 13 years old.
That looks AWESOME!!!!! Kudos on the great maintenance!

DBear
dbear61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2016, 08:15 PM   #2670

Originally quoting Originally Posted by Xpit77 View Post
Being towed to my indy to have ignition switch replaced. I know it`s a DYI job but at 62 my body won`t contort enough.
Here`s the best part. They key won`t go into the tumbler. When I did get it out the steering won`t lock. And because its tip I cant get it into N. So no flatbed. Then when they get it to the shop they have to back it in the bay.$40 part 100 labor. Free tow thanks to CAA.

Xpit posted:
Quote:
Three years ago, I did this repair "myself". Meaning I did all the prelim work, but I my forearm is too long to clear the dash and floor to get at the screws. So I had my daughter do that part. I did the part swap, had her refasten the replacement, then completed everything.

At the time, I purchased two ignition switches anticipating needing to do another replacement. Well, the key is starting to act up again on overcoming the first tumble, which as I recall is an early symptom of ignition switch beginning to fail. What I didn't anticipate is my daughter moving out of state, so now I may have to have the shop crawl in there and do it.

Kudos to Xpit for earning that SKS badge!

DBear
Old 07-11-2016, 08:17 PM   #2671

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beer View Post
My coolant tank decided to spring a leak a few weeks ago. Replaced the tank over the weekend along with the water pump, low temp thermostat, belt and fresh coolant. It runs cooler that it ever has.

I was seriously suffering from withdrawal. I don't know how you guys who store your Boxster for the winter can stand it.
Beer.

DBear
Old 07-12-2016, 01:52 AM   #2672
2003 Base 5-speed

Garage
Ok, I take that back - baby looks pretty great for 13 years old

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by grc0456; 07-12-2016 at 01:58 AM.
Old 07-12-2016, 02:03 AM   #2673
2003 Base 5-speed

Garage
What did you do with/to your Boxster today?

Quote:
Originally Posted by I_like_tacos View Post
Freshly waxed

We'd be remiss for not welcoming you with your first post, Taco. And with a pic to boot. Your car looks great. Now give us a shot of the rest of the car!

Last edited by grc0456; 07-12-2016 at 06:17 AM.
Old 07-12-2016, 05:27 AM   #2674
IronDeadPool

Today I decided to restore my foggy headlights take a look at the picture and YouTube video.

https://youtu.be/jGwaYjvHaps

Project IronDeadPool
986ohana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2016, 06:14 AM   #2675
98 Arctic silver 986

Garage
Cool video man. The lights def look better. You will love them after you do the retrofit.
tommy583 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2016, 06:32 AM   #2676

nice work @986ohana, although the the headlights pop out so easily I'd have just removed them to polish and saved all the masking (and risk of slips!).

When I polished up a pretty bad condition pair of clears I found on ebay I also used the same kit, but I found the disks ran out too quickly and I ended up using sandpaper by hand.
oldskool73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2016, 07:23 AM   #2677

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbear61 View Post
Originally quoting Originally Posted by Xpit77 View Post

Xpit posted:

Three years ago, I did this repair "myself". Meaning I did all the prelim work, but I my forearm is too long to clear the dash and floor to get at the screws. So I had my daughter do that part. I did the part swap, had her refasten the replacement, then completed everything.

At the time, I purchased two ignition switches anticipating needing to do another replacement. Well, the key is starting to act up again on overcoming the first tumble, which as I recall is an early symptom of ignition switch beginning to fail. What I didn't anticipate is my daughter moving out of state, so now I may have to have the shop crawl in there and do it.

Kudos to Xpit for earning that SKS badge!

DBear
I removed the AC vent. It helped.
95 Integra Solo I sold
71 Opel GT sold
Xpit77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2016, 12:49 PM   #2678
2003 Base 5-speed

Garage
Nice work, ohana. Where are you getting your retrofits?

I've cleared my outer lenses pretty well - on the outside - its the inner side of the outer plastic lenses that are pitted. But I'm e-scared of prying them open.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 07-12-2016, 01:26 PM   #2679

Got a brand new car cover! Its black, and branded with a nice porsche shield on the hood with a Porsche caption. Top quality and fit <$100 haha

The villa I live is restructuring and our community 'shed' is being demolished. I have no where to keep the boxster for the summer. Going back to our dedicated parking space in front of our little condo here. Outdoor (ouch) :/

Was washing the dust off the roadster before installing my super brand new car cover yesterday eve and some old dude walking backward stops and say to me in half broken mandarin Chinese "that Porsche car will be mine soon".

Me: really?!?! (zhen de ma loll)
Him: you haven't watch the news? we are going to war
Me: No, I do not watch the news, or anything else that is state sponsored
Me: Whats your super news today man? what war?
Him: Oh you'll hear soon enough
Him: kept on walking
Me:

Quote:
Originally Posted by grc0456 View Post
- its the inner side of the outer plastic lenses that are pitted. But I'm e-scared of prying them open.
They pop right up, I don't even pre-heat them anymore. Tool/Pry one side just next to the fog light and do the rest (pulling) by hands man. The seal lip and lens are made out of very (very) high quality polycarbonate. Even if you try to break it I don't think you'll be able too. You can throw them golf balls all day long they'll bounce right up also.

The biggest danger is dropping the entire headlight assembly on a hard floor in the process, careful of those flashers corners! I get around this by sitting on the floor and doing it there. Takes 2~3min, literally
Old 07-12-2016, 06:17 PM   #2680
2003 Base 5-speed

Garage
Wow, Fred. You may embolden me. If I F it up, well it's only $$ to replace with new or new used.

Happy to hear you came through the storm OK, and hope the SuperB doesn't become the spoils of war, Although doubtful anyone will go to war over a pile of rocks in the South China Sea,

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk