Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-13-2020, 06:46 AM   #1

Garage
Door window not dropping properly – a troubleshooting check list.

Door window not dropping properly – a troubleshooting check list.

I have been working on my passenger side window, which was not dropping, so have spent a lot of time reading posts about the window drop. The problem is there are so many posts and so many suggestions it is difficult to decide where to start. So I will try to bring together in one place a list of things to check and solutions. This will be in a document that can be updated with additional information rather than a thread with interminable comments (not all relevant) that one has to wade through.

I have started the document with some of the things learned in my searches and placed it here :
https://www.dropbox.com/s/88b5qvym9q3f63q/Window%20drop%20troubleshooting.rtf?dl=0

I invited everyone to make suggestions in this thread that I will try to integrate into the document.
Please do not hijack this thread with your questions... there are other threads for that or start your own thread.
Thanks.

1987 924S 5-speed (Sold) - Blue 2000 Boxster 5 spd (Sold)

Last edited by elgyqc; 07-17-2020 at 04:24 AM. Reason: corrected link
elgyqc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2020, 06:50 AM   #2

Garage
A question of my own... it is not clear to me if the microswitches in the door handles are involved in the window drop and if so how. It seems to me that the microswitch in the latch is what tells the car that the latch has been released... so drop the window and then that the latch is closed so raise the window.
Old 07-13-2020, 09:10 AM   #3

Hi there is a micro switch inside the lock On a cam which drops the window as you pull the handle
Blue99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2020, 07:47 PM   #4

When you lift the door handle do you hear the motor run?
If it does run then the problem is that the cables have stretched, you can either pay for a whole new actuator and fit it, or you can do what I did and buy a bicycle cable adjuster (slotted so you can fit it to the cable) and fit it. There are plenty of YouTube vids about this and that’s how I discovered it, don’t do the ‘cable tie’ fix, it doesn’t work to well. My 2001 Boxster had the same problem and after doing the bicycle adjuster fix more than a year ago now, it is still working perfectly.
Liamray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2020, 03:52 AM   #5

Garage
My problem was atypical, the connector from the wiring harness to the door latch was making intermittent contact. I am waiting for a new connector to finally fix it, though my temporary fix seems to be working now.

I encourage everyone who has experience with the window drop issue to read the document linked in the first post above and leave their comments in this thread.

Last edited by elgyqc; 07-16-2020 at 04:05 AM. Reason: clarificaton
Old 07-16-2020, 05:42 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by elgyqc View Post
My problem was atypical, the connector from the wiring harness to the door latch was making intermittent contact. I am waiting for a new connector to finally fix it, though my temporary fix seems to be working now.
Was the issue with connector to outside latch (handle) or inside latch (handle)?
Old 07-16-2020, 04:39 PM   #7

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilot4fn View Post
Was the issue with connector to outside latch (handle) or inside latch (handle)?
Neither... to the latch (locking mechanism) itself. It is a 9 pin connector.
Old 07-16-2020, 08:33 PM   #8

Quote:
Neither... to the latch (locking mechanism) itself. It is a 9 pin connector.
Ok, thanks. I did change the 9-pin locking unit, but the issue came back as intermitent problem. I'll check the door latch connections next...
Old 07-18-2020, 09:43 PM   #9

Quote:

I encourage everyone who has experience with the window drop issue to read the document linked in the first post above and leave their comments in this thread.
Thanks for the info!
Looks like I had the same issue like you did. The actual 9-pin connector to the lock mechanism had connection issues, but was able to clean it so it works now.

Where you ordered the new connector from? I'd like to swap the connector as wellas well to avoid annoying same issues in the future.
Old 07-19-2020, 02:48 AM   #10

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilot4fn View Post
Thanks for the info!
Looks like I had the same issue like you did. The actual 9-pin connector to the lock mechanism had connection issues, but was able to clean it so it works now.

Where you ordered the new connector from? I'd like to swap the connector as wellas well to avoid annoying same issues in the future.
I ordered from eBay.
https://www.ebay.ca/itm/262857126827
Your local Audi or VW dealer may have one. I am not looking forward to splicing the 9 wires.
Old 07-19-2020, 08:23 AM   #11

Quote:
I ordered from eBay.
https://www.ebay.ca/itm/262857126827
Your local Audi or VW dealer may have one. I am not looking forward to splicing the 9 wires.
Perfect, thanks!
Old 09-06-2020, 02:53 AM   #12

Garage
Quote:
My problem was atypical, the connector from the wiring harness to the door latch was making intermittent contact. I am waiting for a new connector to finally fix it, though my temporary fix seems to be working now...
Or not. I replaced the connector and still have the problem so it must be internal to the latch. I am weighing my options... don't feel like spending $600 CDN for the latch that my Boxster with the M535 alarm option needs. I am tempted to take mine apart to check for a bad solder joint or other simple fix.
I am wondering what would happen if I installed a standard latch (like from a VW, available for $60 CDN), that should at least fix my window problem, but what would it do to the alarm?
Old 09-07-2020, 11:16 AM   #13

Garage
Victory! I think. I found the problem after reading an old thread on a VW site that explained a common problem on these latches (that are on Porsches, Audis and VWs with minor variations) is solder connections cracking on the PCB.
So I took my latch apart, which is really easy, and saw at least one cracked solder connection for the pins from the external 9 pin connector. I retouched the nine solder joints and now the window drops reliably.
It was really worth the effort $0 vs $600 for a new Porsche latch. :dance:

These videos show how to do it...
How to Fix a VW Door Lock Module PERMANENTLY - YouTube
https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=767&v=z5dtdyDDgrw&feature=emb_logo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xcRsmwi6EBM

Last edited by elgyqc; 09-07-2020 at 11:21 AM. Reason: added links
Old 09-07-2020, 11:27 AM   #14

Quote:
Victory! I think. I found the problem after reading an old thread on a VW site that explained a common problem on these latches (that are on Porsches, Audis and VWs with minor variations) is solder connections cracking on the PCB.
So I took my latch apart, which is really easy, and saw at least one cracked solder connection for the pins from the external 9 pin connector. I retouched the nine solder joints and now the window drops reliably.
It was really worth the effort $0 vs $600 for a new Porsche latch. :dance:

These videos show how to do it...
How to Fix a VW Door Lock Module PERMANENTLY - YouTube
https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=767&v=z5dtdyDDgrw&feature=emb_logo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xcRsmwi6EBM
Awesome! Thanks for sharing the solution!