Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-28-2007, 03:06 AM   #1

Custom shifter bushings (for Adam)

When an aftermarket short shifter is installed in a Boxster, the plastic clips holding the stock shifter bushings must be cut. This renders the bushings useless should you want to go back to stock. Porsche does not sell just the bushings. A friend and I made some near-stock replacements using his lathe.

The OD of the shifter pivots is approximately 5/8". The ID of the hole in the housing is .. somewhat larger. You have a couple choices. You can buy some delrin bar stock and machine both the outside and center-drill a 5/8" hole down the center, then cut to length, or you can do what we did. Go to mcmaster.com and order two delrin plain bearings with 5/8" ID and 7/8" OD (2705T37). Then order two with a 7/8" ID and a 1 1/8" OD (2705T42) and a pack of low-clearance C-clips (98555A205). The bushings will be pressed together nose to tail to make each bushing. This allows a spacer to be put in between them (we used an O-ring held in place with CA) to ensure the shifter is properly located fore/aft.

Now you have to turn down the OD of the larger bushing, cut yourself a groove for the C-clip (insert the bushing into the shifter housing and mark).

Sorry we did not take measurements because we have no intention of making more of these.

Here is the bushing with the o-ring to adjust the shifter location. The bushing on top is the 5/8" ID bushing. The one sitting on the red cloth is the 7/8" ID bushing. You can see the groove machined for the c-clip.

Another view.

Here you can see the bushing with the O-ring in the rear location. This bushing is slightly longer than the other one which doesn't have the o-ring. Just like the factory bushings and B+M bushings (which are adjustable)

Here is the front bushing - no O-ring.

And the completed shifter. No slop! I love it.

John V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2007, 08:01 AM   #2

Nice work John! The setup looks well done and clean. If you ever decide to make a few extras keep me in mind.

Adam is offline   Reply With Quote