Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Show and Tell Gallery

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-16-2004, 04:15 PM   #1

Finally got some pics to share: 01 S, lots of mods

Bought the car a few weeks back, but just got around to getting some pics. the car's dirty, but they'll give you the idea.
It's an '01 S in Biarritz White (a little softer white than the current 'bright' white), black top and interior; one owner car with 24k miles. It was lightly optioned: Sports package, litronics, 18" turbo twists, floor mats...and then the previous owner went to town on mods:
- techart engine kit with modified air intake, ecu chip, throttle body, headers (pre-cat delete), sport mufflers, and stainless sport exhaust. It sounds nasty...low growl tends to set off car alarms in parking garages...throaty and willing throughout the rev range, pulls really nicely. reportedly a 50+ hp and torque improvement.
- techart side air intake scoops...I like the look of those alot...it's usually the first thing people who are familiar with Boxster notice
- techart lowering springs (20-25mm drop)
- techart wheels spacers (15mm front, 21mm in the rear, no fender rolling req'd with stock wheels and this setup)
- K40 laser detector / diffuser and radar detectors front and rear (the funky license plate holder on the rear houses the diffuser, the front one is inside the middle air intake...they head unit is integrated behind the dash)
- blaupunkt stereo head / 6 disc changer, a couple of big sony amps nicely tucked in under the bottom of the front storae compartment, and some nice speakers (I'm more into the sound of the motor than the stereo...the stereo does sound good, but the engine sounds way better)
- techart power top mod to allow top operation while moving
- extensive techart interior trim upgrades in aluminum look

The car's a blast to drive, and I honestly don't think there's a car on the road with more beautiful lines than the boxster. Last car to be produced with this pretty / powerful set of lines was a 1976 Jensen Interceptor.

I'm going to do some add'l stuff to. Little things like getting rid of that terrible orange on the rear lights...think I'll go with the full red tail lamp set off the 550 anniv edition or maybe just the '03 style. I'll do clear sides and white bumper plugs, and was thinking of removing the rear boxster s badge and going with a single, black 'S' or something a little different from the rest
The big purchase decision is on wheels. I was thinking of Kinesis K58's in a medium dark annodized color...I like dark wheels to begin with...and this car seems a perfect fit for something dark. Any suggestions?

Anyway, just wanted to show her off a bit, field questions on the mods that have been done, and see what people think would look good in terms of wheels.

Oh ya, and thinking of making my license plate "FUHRIUS"...offensive? make sense?

Last edited by FUHRIUS; 11-17-2004 at 12:40 PM.
FUHRIUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2004, 04:17 PM   #2

another pic

thought I'd give it to you froma few angles
Old 11-16-2004, 04:20 PM   #3

one more

from the front...
Old 11-17-2004, 02:50 AM   #4

White just screams for bumper plugs - doesn't it!

Thanks for the pictures
Ad Sach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2004, 06:49 AM   #5

it's the little things, though...

it's hard to imagine being quite so picky about a car that you need color coded bumper plugs...but I do.
I was going to get mine from bumperplugs.com...anyone have experience with those.

I also ordered the airbab warning cover ups for the visors.
Old 11-17-2004, 01:56 PM   #6
ddb
www.klisstle.com

Garage
Very nice! I have a white 2000 Boxster and am trying to decide on what replacement lenses to use. I wasn't aware of the all red aniversary lights. Please keep us posted on your choice and post some pictures.

Thanks,

Derek
ddb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2004, 02:03 PM   #7

here's a link to a place that sells both the 03-04 stock light and the 550 anniv light:
http://e-partssales.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=P&Category_Code =WS

I'm now leaning toward the stock clear / red just to reduce the total amount of color on the back. I've also heard of / seen 'smoked' combos, and some all clear ones (with red bulbs). choices, choices. the side markers are a must change - again, I've seen clear and smoked.
Old 11-17-2004, 02:53 PM   #8
ddb
www.klisstle.com

Garage
FUHRIUS,

Thanks for the link. I think I will go with the stock clears as well. Unfortunately I also have to deal with the headlights. I would like to install the Litronics, but haven't decided.

I'm also looking forward to the B&M short shift kit and new linkage. Have you already done this?

I plan on installing the rear speaker kit and a CD changer at the same time.

Derek
ddb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2004, 06:04 PM   #9
Lux

Nice car! Mods sound great. I'd love to see a video of the car so I can hear the exhaust. And a dyno sheet would be nice. So how about it?

About the bumper plugs...a lot of people seem pleased with Bumperplugs.com. They also sell painted bumperettes that would look nice on your car (the 2 black thingies on either side of your rear license plate).
Lux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2004, 06:38 PM   #10

Lux - thanks.
I was going to get the plugs at bumperplugs.com, along with a black 's' to put on the back instead of the 'boxster s'. the bumperettes don't bother me so much...I know that a lot of people can't stand them...not so much for me. their painted bumperettes do look sweet, though. a video's a good call...the sound of it really is sweet. it does produce a low droaning noise at 2500-ish rpm...top down's not a big deal, but it bothers some people with top up / windows closed...no worries, I just kick the speed up a little bit and the sound goes away ;-)

Now to the wheels...I dig your carrera wheels. At this point, if I had my choice, I'd go for the wheels off the anniv edition boxster which are the same as yours but the spokes are painted seal grey...I think they'd look tits on my car.
Looks like you're a local guy...I'm in San Jose.

ddb - I haven't done the shorty (and am surprised the previous owner didn't, given all the other stuff he did) but have thought about it. Boy those litronics are bucks, aren't they...they do work really well, though.

Last edited by FUHRIUS; 11-17-2004 at 07:28 PM.
Old 11-17-2004, 08:18 PM   #11
Lux

Quote:
Originally posted by FUHRIUS
At this point, if I had my choice, I'd go for the wheels off the anniv edition boxster which are the same as yours but the spokes are painted seal grey...I think they'd look tits on my car.
I've been contemplating doing the same thing myself. I think the darker wheels would look awesome on my triple black.

Quote:

Looks like you're a local guy...I'm in San Jose.
That's awesome. I'm in SJ too. We'll have to hook up at one of Tool Pants' Work on Cars day. I haven't been able to make it to one yet but I'm tryin'. Looks like a lot of fun and you get to check out other peoples' mods before you commit.

Lux is offline   Reply With Quote