Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-18-2004, 05:06 PM   #1
Forum Member

Dead Radio?

I just purchased a 2001 Boxter with no owner's manual. Everything works great except the radio/cd player will not turn on. I checked the fuse and it is ok. Is there a trick to this. Also, in the fuse panel, there is a rocker switch, what is this for? Thanks, Zach

zcheetham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2004, 07:06 PM   #2

Welcome to the world of Porsches. Had the same two questions when I bought my 1997.

1) Your radio has a fuse on the back of the unit itself as well as in the fuse box area. Take it to a dealer and have them do two things for you... pull the radio, replace or fiddle with that fuse (mine is loose and requires fiddling every other month or so. So, I bought the 12 dollar tools to pull it myself) and ask them to look up your radio code and give it to you. I assume you didn't get one when you bought the car, just like I did not.

2) The rocker switch is to manually raise the spoiler between your rear trunk and bumper. Turn the ignition switch on and then activate it and hold it up for ten seconds. This will raise it so you can clean it and inspect it.

Check Ebay for owner's manuals... I never found one online for cheap so I ordered one from my dealer and paid 35 bucks for it, but it answered a bunch of questions and I think it was worth it.

Now get back on those nice long Montana roads and crank that rascal up to 125 and keep it there for a while, so I can live vicariously through you, ok? I live in the fourth largest city in the USA and can't get over 90 without running into traffic.
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2004, 07:17 PM   #3
Forum Member

Thanks a million. I feel a little dumb not realizing there is a spoiler. I will have to find a dealer as I think the car is still under warranty. I suppose the radio code will have to be entered even if I get the radio back online. Thanks again for the info and I do enjoy the MT roads. I bought in Spokane WA and my drive home was 200 miles of mountain roads. Was fun to pass on the curves (but I'm sure you already know this experience). Snow will be here soon so it is "top up" until April. Thanks again. Zach
Old 09-19-2004, 09:09 AM   #4

The spoiler only comes up at 75 mph and up, and you have to stand up in the car to see it behind you due to how low one rides in the Boxster. It's the coolest part of the car if you ask me though... when it's up, everyone knows you're driving 75+

Don't forget this when you pass a cop though... they're quite smart about active spoilers on Porsches and when they are extended

Never mind. I keep forgeting that you don't get a lot of speeding tickets in Montana, or if you do, they're $5, right? Clarify this for me... the Texan in me wants to believe it as we should have the same thing here if it's true!
Old 09-19-2004, 09:19 AM   #5
Forum Member

Thats pretty cool about the 75 spoiler speed. I was wondering how, why and when this opened and if it opened on its own, now I know, thanks. We used to have 5$ speeding tickets up until 8 years ago when they decided to have no speed limit. We only had "Reasonable and Prudent" laws, which were very confusing. We now have speed limits again but the fines are still low ($20 for speeds up to 20mph over the limit). beyond that it gets a little more expensive but not much.
Do you think my 01' radio has the same fuse as yours? I just did a search for porsche dealers and the closest I found was Bend Oregon which is 380 miles. I need to decide if I need to take the car to the dealer or if I can do this work myself. I did find the radio tools on the net for $14.00 but am not sure what to do when and if I can get the radio out. Thanks for helping, Zach
Old 09-19-2004, 03:47 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally posted by zcheetham
Snow will be here soon so it is "top up" until April. Thanks again. Zach
1st - Congratulations, ZACK, on your new car.

2nd- Bend, Oregon is a long ways from Montana. If I were you, I would make a habit of visitting RennTECH.org http://www.renntech.org/forums/index.php?

This website will discuss a lot of problems that you may never have. It can be scary to imagine such things happening to your baby, but this is THE PLACE for do it yourself Boxster and Porsche care.

3rd - With the cold nights this month. be advised. DO NOT operate your top when the plastic window is below 40 degrees. If you do not properly warm the window, it can crack. This is a very expensive repair. (I use an electric blanket to warm my window and and drive top down at 35 dgrees - but this is an extremely unusual choice)

4th - Having done the Spokane,WA - Custer,SD drive in the no speed limit days, I was sorry to hear of a Montana speed limit. How do you guys stay awake at 80MPH? I'm Glad to hear they didn't get too extreme about speed limits.
Ad Sach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2004, 08:16 AM   #7

The radio pulling tool is a good thing to have regardless, and it's cheap!

All you do is insert them until they click in place and then yank real hard.

When you get the radio out, inspect it and see if there's a fuse. If so, replace it if it's blown.

To get the tool keys out, you have to push a little button on the outside of the radio for both of the keys to be released so you can slide it back in.

Then you'll need your radio code if it comes on and requests it.

Doing this will help you know if the radio is indeed working before you take it into the dealership.

Also, having the tools is great if you ever decide to install a new head unit from Crutchfield, etc. They have a wiring harness that plugs right in and the whole change over takes about five minutes.
Old 09-22-2004, 05:12 PM   #8
Forum Member

Thanks for the help guys. I did finally get the tools to take out the radio and the fuse WAS bad so I replaced it. Now the front says "CODE" and I can't get any dealerships to help me out with the code. Three of the dealerships are telling me I have to bring the car in? Thats a long way to go to enter a 4 digit code. Any ideas out there as to where I may find this code? Maybe I can track down the original owner...? Thanks again. Z
Old 09-22-2004, 05:32 PM   #9

a lot of people write the code on the options sticker inside the hood after they buy the car. Its a long shot, but worth checking out.
Old 09-22-2004, 07:39 PM   #10

Z, they have to pull your radio and get the serial number off it and check to see if it's stolen or not.

Just take it in and get them to do it... and write down that code and keep it somewhere you'll remember to look next time the fuse blows.

All of this advice is applicable only if you can't find the code written on the options sticker. That would be a stroke of luck!
Old 09-23-2004, 02:03 AM   #11

Years ago I wrote my code on the option sticker in case I could not find the code card. And guess what, I do not know where it is. It is a gray credit card size card with the serial number and code on it. It is supposed to be in the manual holder.

You push and hold the TP button until you see Becker in the display. Then you turn the right knob until you see the serial number. The dealers then have a number they call for the code. They must want you to come in to prove you are the owner. My dealer does not charge for this.

You can do the same thing with Becker but they charge like $30 and you have to fax in proof of ownership.
Tool Pants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2004, 06:51 PM   #12
Forum Member

Thanks for the help everyone. I finally talked with the porsche dealer in Salt Lake City this morning (the same guys who faxed me the outline of the radio tools). I gave them the serial number (which I had since the radio was out) and they took about 30 seconds to give the code back to me. I eagerly ran out to the car and entered the code and YEEHAAWWW it works. Thanks a millioin to the helpful people in Salt Lake City. I now have tunes, thanks to all!!! Zach