Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-07-2007, 05:12 PM   #1

TOD survival thread...

To start off... WHAT A FREAKIN' AMAZING TRIP!!! My better half and I can't thank the participants enough for an absolutely wonderful time! :dance:

NickCats, it was great to caravan with you and Mrs. NickCats as it made the 11-12 hour drive each way extremely pleasant and enjoyable! Time sure does fly when you are having fun.
Randall (aka The Mayor), it was great to meet you and I'm placing the blame on you for the $$$ I'm probably going to end up spending after seeing all the great mods to you car!
Bmussatti, I'm looking forward to seeing you at some autocrosses this summer as you were tearing the TOD up!
dmcutter, mantis and Mrs. mantis, derb and Mrs. derb, it was a pleasure meeting you and hope to see you next year! Mrs. mantis and Mrs. derb get extra kudos for being troopers when I'm pretty sure if I rode as a passenger I would be kissing the ground at the end immediately following me losing my lunch.
Tom (if you ever read this board), thank you for putting us in check before we went out as what made this weekend more enjoyable was everyone had a good head on their shoulders and kept it safe. Also, thank you putting up with us as we gave you a hard time about your wicked fast MR2.

Trip summary for Sammy...

-approximately 1800 miles for the trip with 300-400 of it being on location at the Dragon and the Skway (car now has the 20,600 miles)
-6 runs of the Dragon
-3 runs of the Cherahola (sp?) Skyway
-2 different breakfast places that left a little to be desired
-1 great BBQ place!
-1 good Chinese buffet
-1 very good Mexican place
-a bunch of pictures and a couple videos that filled an entire memory card
-$100 worth of tires left at the Dragon and the Skway
-$50 worth of brakes left as well
-$90 worth of souvenoirs
-1 book authored by The Mayor himself
-2 people, father and son who crashed their motorcycles on Sunday, our prayers are with them and their family
-and finally... A LIFETIME OF MEMORIES!

Sammy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2007, 05:29 PM   #2

I almost forgot...

-2 rolls of Rolaids
-4 Pepto tablets

And thank you bmussatti for letting us use some of your cleaning products.
Old 05-07-2007, 05:46 PM   #3

Here's another good shot of us driving on day one, the ultimate test of wet tire grip!
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2007, 05:50 PM   #4

Randall,

I just went through 75 pages of photos on Killboy.com and not one picture of you guys! Maybe when he posts Sunday's pictures?
...no catastrophic engine failure ...yet
Grizzly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2007, 05:56 PM   #5

Killboy.com takes about a week to post pix. When they're up, I'll post an address link. I'll have to buy a shot of me for sure. Bought a hat too!

What a simply amazing place. The two day drive each way was EASILY worth it.
Old 05-07-2007, 05:59 PM   #6

I really wanted to come, but had to stay in the DC area on standby for an assignment that never materialized...story of my life.
Old 05-07-2007, 06:21 PM   #7

I would like to plan another trip for the forum members in September or first weekend of October of 2008... that'll give everyone a LOT of time to make plans and clear their schedules.
Old 05-07-2007, 07:47 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandallNeighbour
Here's another good shot of us driving on day one, the ultimate test of wet tire grip!
Great shot!

I echo Patrick. Excellent trip and company!

Took me 2 washes and 4 hours to clean my car...and the hotel cost me more than I thought... I heard my wife say it was $50 a night; she corrected me at $150 and the guys at the table enjoyed that. But when we checked out, it was really $180 a night. Going to put some more marbles at the top of the stairs this evening!
Mantis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2007, 08:05 PM   #9

Nice...

BTW...besides the rain (I must of missed the writeup) how were the roads?
Were there a lot of other cars/clubs/bikes competing for the same roadway?

markab986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2007, 02:37 AM   #10

Randall-

+1 for the fall trip. Definitely want in on that one.

Would love to see that place with fall foliage. It will probably be crowded with "leaf peepers", but still worth the view.

Jeff
jwilson95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2007, 06:18 AM   #11

Had an awesome time, wish I could have stayed til the weather got good on Sunday...but at least I got to check out PSM on the wet roads. Here's a shot of my TOD souvenirs...hope it doesn't look too "riceriffic".
dmcutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2007, 07:07 AM   #12

Send a message via AIM to djomlas
^
i would say that looks a little on the ricy side, but when put into context where you were and the experience/memories, i would probably rock it too hehe, nice touch and placement as well, i like it

and all you bastards, i was stuck in chicago, but did end up going to 1st pca autocross, so there lol

glad you all had fun, and finally nice to see Bills car dirty
exhaust cutouts::EVOcoldair intake::OEM smoked tails & sidemarkers::

colormatched bumperettes::Top Speed Pro-1 exhaust::
my cardomain/pictures page
djomlas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2007, 03:39 PM   #13

dmcutter, I purchased a similar set of decals for my windscreen. I think they are a nice subtle touch as a reminder of the weekend.

On another note I had no idea how much I would laugh this weekend. There were so many one liners that had me rolling!
Old 05-08-2007, 04:24 PM   #14
bmussatti

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly
Randall,

I just went through 75 pages of photos on Killboy.com and not one picture of you guys! Maybe when he posts Sunday's pictures?

Grizzly, you can see me coming through the Dragon on Killboy's photos for Friday, May 4th.

http://www.photoreflect.com/pr3/ThumbPage.aspx?e=2878528&g=00&s=2650
Old 05-08-2007, 04:36 PM   #15

I hope he braved the rain Saturday morning and got some of us then. How much faster was it Sunday when it dried up?
Old 05-08-2007, 04:43 PM   #16
bmussatti

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmcutter
I hope he braved the rain Saturday morning and got some of us then. How much faster was it Sunday when it dried up?
Cutter, I think we were on the Tail too early for Killboy on Saturday. I checked all of the pics...and I don't see us.

Sunday was mucho fast. Amazing what our cars can do. Sammy and NickCats were great "teachers" and line setters for us.
Old 05-08-2007, 04:44 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmussatti
Grizzly, you can see me coming through the Dragon on Killboy's photos for Friday, May 4th.
Bill, that is so cool! Unlike most of the shots, I can actually see you in the car with that look of total concentration. Sweet.

DM, I looked through the whole 75 pages of Saturday, May 5th and didn't see you guys. He was out there in the rain because he got pictures of seven million Minis in the down-pour.
Old 05-08-2007, 04:54 PM   #18
bmussatti

Hey Sammy and NickCats, tell the Forum how my Porsche Sport Exhaust sounded on the TOD and Skyway!
Old 05-08-2007, 05:31 PM   #19

For future reference, my sister was at Fontana Village (just down 28 from the Crossroads of Time) the week before for a dog show, and they have their liquor license, so I don't guess the whole place is dry. I think the Minis were based out of Fontana. Next time we should stay there, although I did like the Two Wheel Inn.
Old 05-08-2007, 06:34 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmussatti
Hey Sammy and NickCats, tell the Forum how my Porsche Sport Exhaust sounded on the TOD and Skyway!
Daddy likes!!! The exhaust had a great sound to it... definitely not ricey! Randall's exhaust sounded fantastic as well!

dmcutter, the speeds definitely stepped up a notch or two (more like a different scale) with the dry roads.