Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-04-2007, 12:34 PM   #1

Question Tip knob removal?

Sorry to ask this again but I cannot seem to locate the original answer. I want to remvoe the top of the Tip selector knob so as to repaint some scrape damage. I asked this awhile back but an now just getting to it and at that time someone kindly posted a pic and described the process of removing this item. If you are reading this will you please post the answer once again? Thanks for your patience.

AKL

Allen K. Littlefield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2007, 02:07 PM   #2

Hi,

Allen, it's quite simple. You get a small Allen Wrench and insert it under the Lockout Button. Then gently pry it out. Then the Knob just lifts off. PM me with an email addy for an Illustration. Hope this helps...

Happy Motoring!... Jim'99
MNBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2007, 02:30 PM   #3

This might help:

http://www.renntech.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=4015
98Boxster98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2007, 06:49 AM   #4

Removing:
Lever the locking button A off with a suitable tool or finger. The locking button must be pressed so that the tool can be inserted between the selector lever B and locking button. (The ignition key must be in position 1 before the locking button can be pressed.)
2. Remove compression spring A and pull spring clip B off toward the rear.
3. Pull selector lever up and off.

Installing:
1. Assemble the selector knob with spring clip, compression spring and locking button. Fit conical compression spring with the small diameter facing the guide peg.)
2. Press the complete selector knob onto the shift lever until it bottoms. The spring clip must fully engage in the slot on the selector lever.
3. Check function of locking button.
Thumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2007, 11:43 AM   #5

Thumbs up Thanks

Thanks for the diagram Thumper (funny, I named my 911SC Thumper) as I will only be repainting the press button it should not be a problem at all. Pics and diagrams are a good thing.

AKL
Old 06-05-2007, 12:02 PM   #6

No problem, glad I could help. I had to look this up a couple of weeks ago so in order to take the knob off to remove my console to run a wire from the oil sending unit to the instrument cluster for my Carrera cluster swap. I was surprised to find out how easy it was.
Thumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2007, 02:42 PM   #7

Easy off

Jim & Thumper, popped it right off today, no problem. I did it so any buddy can. I see it is held on by a copper friction clip. I painted it and clear coated it and tomorrow will polish it up with some Imperial Hand Glaze by 3-M. Now I have been eyeballing that center piece that surrounds the ash tray and window buttons.......

AKL