Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-08-2007, 02:47 PM   #1

Convertible Top Opinions!!!

Hi. I am new to the forum. I just bought my first boxster 3 days ago. I bought a 97 tiptronic with only 50,000 miles. Speed yellow with Brick Red interior. I searched for months before I found one that was flawless in everyway imaginable. Anyways, last night some dumb #$% decided to cut my top so now I need a new one. I have decide to buy one with the glass window that works on the the 97-02. I cant decide which website to purchase it from. Cabrio world sells it for $750.00. and GAHH sells it for $1,050.00. They both are made using German Canvas. Is GaHH actually better then CabrioWorld. If any of you have bought and had installed a top from either of these let me know what you think. I would like to buy it ASAP. Thanks again Ryan

ryansprimeauto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2007, 02:55 PM   #2
bmussatti

Congrats on your new car! Sorry about your top. That really sucks.

If you do some "searches" here on the forum, you will see a lot of good reports about the GAHH tops.

Welcome. And post some pictures ASAP!
Old 06-08-2007, 02:57 PM   #3
bmussatti

Here is a starter for your reading pleasure:

Got my GAHH Installed
Old 06-09-2007, 02:01 AM   #4

GAHH tops are the best tops!!!! I install them. Talk to Jack. I have tried them all. Robbins makes a glass top. New to the market, don't know how good they are.
Peter Serbanica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2007, 04:57 AM   #5

Ryan, post some pix of your car. I've never seen speed yellow with a red interior. That sounds like a wild-looking boxster!

I'm also spying new tops for my 97... see who's got the best warranty before you buy. Some of the earlier glass tops had separation issues at the top seams where it meets the top or the bottom of the glass and then there is fitment issues after it stretches out a bit.

You want the company to cover these things and get it right for you at no extra charge. Buying one of these tops off eBay and having it installed by a local shop is a way to save money, but it may not be the best way to go because there will be no warranty.

GAHH has their own authorized installers and they'll warrant their tops AND the labor to swap them out if necessary due to defects or poor installation.
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2007, 08:07 PM   #6

thansk for all the advise so far. I will post pics up tomorrow. Has anyone had a glass window top installed that was bought from cabrioworld because if those are as good as the gahh topsI would prefer to purchase from cabrioworld and save $250.00 US
Old 06-10-2007, 08:12 PM   #7

Send a message via AIM to Bisimoto
I have a Robbins top on my '01 S, and I paid high $600s.
Old 06-11-2007, 03:19 AM   #8

cabrioworld might be selling factory seconds. he doesn't pay labor to replace defective tops
Old 06-12-2007, 02:47 PM   #9

Ok. I searched ebay and found listings for the robbins top with glass window and defroster lines made out of German A5 Canvas ( Which is supposed to be the best). All for $695.00 +30.00 shipping. They also offer a 5 year warranty as oppoesd to Gaahs 2 year warranty. Gaah tops are more than $1,000 with less warranty so I think I will get the robbins top.
Old 06-12-2007, 02:49 PM   #10

BISIMOTO. How long have you had the Robbins top on your car for? Did you install it yourself? If not, how much did you pay to have it installed.
Old 06-12-2007, 04:48 PM   #11

I think gahh gives a discount to forum members ask for jack.
Old 06-12-2007, 05:48 PM   #12

I have the GAHH top for about a year, very pleased with it.

http://forums.rennlist.com/rennforum...tar14266_4.gif
EX-88 951, 87 951, 86 944na, 85.5 944na 00 Audi S4..01 Boxster S .etc..etc
Marc Gelefsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2007, 08:00 PM   #13

Send a message via AIM to ultimate1 Send a message via Yahoo to ultimate1
I had a Robbins top with the glass window put on my Boxster a few months ago. I love it. The defroster works great and it folds down neatly so that the decklid closes all the way down like its supposed to. I bought my top for close to $700 and I found a Robbins approved installer to do the installation for $500. So I got the top and the installatoin done for less that $1200. That was way better than the cost of the GAHH.
I will try to take some pics for you tomorrow.
ultimate1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2007, 09:38 PM   #14

Thank You everyone. I saved the ebay listing for the Robbins top and will be purchasing it tomorrow. I will post pics of my car with the new top and all once it is installed. I have never installed a convertible top before but am going to attempt this one myself before bringing it to an installer. I consider myself to be very mechanically inclinded so I think this can't be all that hard but who knows.
Old 06-19-2007, 11:58 AM   #15

So my new glass top is suppose to be here tomorrow. I will take pictures during the installation process (maybe they can be used as a guide). I eill let you all know what I think. Thanks.
Old 06-19-2007, 12:13 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryansprimeauto
Ok. I searched ebay and found listings for the robbins top with glass window and defroster lines made out of German A5 Canvas ( Which is supposed to be the best). All for $695.00 +30.00 shipping. They also offer a 5 year warranty as oppoesd to Gaahs 2 year warranty. Gaah tops are more than $1,000 with less warranty so I think I will get the robbins top.
That the one I started a post about last week. Glad you found it. It's by far the best price and bang for buck!
porsche986spyder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2007, 08:09 PM   #17

So I recieved the top today. It looks very nice with the glass window and defroster lines. Instructions came with it stating not recommended as a DIY thing. Professional only. Anyways, I'm to cheap to have a pro do it and am trying to save money every way I go about it. It took me approx 3 hours to remove the current top. The instructions for removal of the top that came with the new robbins top are very unclear in certain ares, but the top is off and I am ready to install the new top which I will be doing on Friday. I'm sure the installation of the new top will be much harder and way longer than the removal of the old top. I will keep you all updated.
Old 06-21-2007, 06:39 AM   #18

Quote:
So I recieved the top today. It looks very nice with the glass window and defroster lines. Instructions came with it stating not recommended as a DIY thing. Professional only. Anyways, I'm to cheap to have a pro do it and am trying to save money every way I go about it. It took me approx 3 hours to remove the current top. The instructions for removal of the top that came with the new robbins top are very unclear in certain ares, but the top is off and I am ready to install the new top which I will be doing on Friday. I'm sure the installation of the new top will be much harder and way longer than the removal of the old top. I will keep you all updated.
Maybe you could take same digital pics along the way for a show and tell do it yourself write up. We would certainly like that!
porsche986spyder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2007, 06:43 AM   #19

Send a message via AIM to Bisimoto
Quote:
BISIMOTO. How long have you had the Robbins top on your car for? Did you install it yourself? If not, how much did you pay to have it installed.
Ryan,
I have had it for 3 months now. I paid $350 to have mine installed down here in Los Angeles.

Last edited by Bisimoto; 06-21-2007 at 06:44 AM. Reason: more info
Bisimoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2007, 10:56 AM   #20

Peter,
where in NJ do you install the GAHH top?

I think you are right about Cabrioworld they are just a distributor for the manufacturer. I purchase a soft top for my previous car from them and they told me the top was coming from a mfr. in South Carolina. It turned out the glass window was sealed with a defective silicone which had some complaints of water leaks. The mfr. sent me a new top. I ended up fixing the old one with some silicone from Home Depot and selling the new one Ebay for $300.

BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote