Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-24-2008, 10:29 PM   #1

Spare Tire Advice

I am planning a long trip out west with my wife in our 2000 Boxster in a couple of weeks and I am sure both trunks in the car will be filled to capacity. I have been planning all alont on taking my spare tire in the car, but just realized if I get a flat on the trip, with the rear boot full and a passanger in the car, I will have no place to put the flat tire if I have to use the spare. Does it make sense to take the spare tire along, I will sure be able to use the extra space in the front boot if I leave the spare behind.

Ed

2000 2.7L Boxster 102K; TTP intake, headers, high-flow cats; Dansk high-flow muffler; Autothority ECU chip; TechnoTorque 2; Bilstein coilovers; Racing Dynamics strut brace; stress-bar suspension kit; Aasco lightweight flywheel, B&M short shiftkit; 18" wheels; spare tire delete; OEM GT3 seats; JL audio speakers and subwoofer; Alpine PDX-5/PDX-2 amps; Kenwood DNX8120 CD/DVD/Nav; litronics, deambered
edevlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2008, 08:53 AM   #2

Apparently most people call the auto club for flats these days. I would worry about that in the middle of death valley, not so much on an Interstate.

I've thought about how to carry the flat tire in your situation. I considered plastic sheeting over whatever is in the rear trunk and leaving the trunk open. But I've not measure to see if it can be done.

Either way I'm about to buy a tire cover. Griot's sells them in pairs. Gonna check TireRack to see if they sell singles.
PCA since 1970
70Sixter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2008, 01:50 PM   #3

I always carry a can of fix-a-flat with me, even in cars that have spare tires. (my 01 has a tiny spare) I would advise you carry a can of that stuff or a compressor+can of goo. Although it won't fix massive holes or punctures on the side, it will handle most flats.
JCL12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2008, 03:26 PM   #4

Garage
Ed,

Look at what the new Boxster's have in place of the spare tire, a 12v compressor and a plug kit. That's what I would suggest. You can pick up a plug kit anywhere and ether get a 12v compressor or a couple cans of Fix-A-Flat for air.
This is a link if you don't know how to plug a tire;

http://www.alpharubicon.com/bovstuff/tirepluguzi.htm

For peace of mind, check your tire's to make sure their in good enough shape to make the trip. Then give them a look over every time you stop for gas, bathroom or just to stretch your legs at those scenic overlooks. If the cars loaded, double check the tire pressure. You might also think about the time of day and time of week you travel. If you do have a flat that can't be repaired by a local (removed and patched) replacement might be another story. I have a S and finding the tire size I need (225/40-18 & 265/35-18) in the middle of nowhere would be a nightmare.
Like the past post said, if you did put on the spare tire where would you put the flat? I think if you follow the rule of 6 P's you should be fine. The 6 P's by the way is " Proper planning prevents piss poor performance". If you plan your route, have phone numbers of contacts along the way, have a plug kit and inspect your tires you will have fulfilled the 6 P's.

Have fun, wish I was going with you.

Last edited by Jaxonalden; 05-25-2008 at 04:51 PM.
Jaxonalden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2008, 03:40 PM   #5
07 Carrera S Cab

Garage
Again, as ToolPants pointed out for us before:
This is what the TSB Porsche published on 9-11-98 states:

In countries where it is not legally required to carry a spare wheel in the vehicle at all times, for example in Germany, the question is occasionally asked whether the spare wheel may be removed to increase the storage capacity in the luggage compartment. Please respond to this question with the following information:

"In addition to its intended purpose, the spare wheel fitted in the luggage compartment also serves to absorb some of the impact energy introduced into the front of the vehicles in serious frontal collisions. Please take this into consideration and drive with appropriate care when, in exceptional cases, the spare wheel is not carried in the luggage compartment."

In 2005, Porsche removed the spare, but they also reinforced the front section of the car to compensate.

I would just keep the spare in your car. If you're really stuck in a remote area, you could always leave the full size wheel behind hidden somewhere, and come back for it after dropping your wife off someplace to wait while you go back and retrieve your wheel. There are times when even a fix-a-flat won't be of use.

Previous: 01 Boxster in Arctic Silver, 86 944 in Guards Red
Boxtaboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2008, 03:56 PM   #6

Send a message via AIM to blinkwatt
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxtaboy
In 2005, Porsche removed the spare, but they also reinforced the front section of the car to compensate.
What did they do to reinforce the front end of the 05'+.
Old 05-25-2008, 04:16 PM   #7
07 Carrera S Cab

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by blinkwatt
What did they do to reinforce the front end of the 05'+.
I can't find the documentation now (as I've packed away all of my Porsche brochures...I'm moving in 2 weeks), but here's something I think pointing to what I read. IIRC, they reinforced the pedal box area...

Read the last paragraph all the way at the bottom of this article:
http://www.topspeed.com/cars/porsche/2005-porsche-boxster-987-ar1019.html

Previous: 01 Boxster in Arctic Silver, 86 944 in Guards Red
Boxtaboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2008, 06:29 AM   #8

Had the same thoughts when my wife and I drove to CA from Texas. Keep the spare? Where to put the flat when the spare is changed?

A. I kept the spare, insuring it was inflated to 60 psi or whatever the requirement is. I hate the thought of being stranded in a Porsche in the middle of nowhere and at the mercy of a wrecker driver that thinks I'm a rich snob because I didn't buy a Mustang GT.

B. Take a couple of bungee cords and a bath towel along. In the unlikely event of a flat tire, one can put the spare on the car and then do the following:

1. Drop the top.
2. Remove the roll bar inserts and center windscreen.
3. Place the towel on the clamshell.
4. Put the rim on the towel.
5. Secure it to the car with the bungee cords.
5. Drive cautiously to a tire repair shop or to get the tire replaced (preferred).

Someone on the forum recommended this years ago and I still like the idea. I never had to try it thankfully, but it is a good way to get your wife AND your rim away from the roadside mess in which you find yourself.

I had thought of leaving my wife with the rim to go get help, but that didn't fly. And of course, I didn't even speak aloud the idea of leaving the wife and taking the rim in the passenger seat because, well, you can image the trouble that would create! :troll:
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2008, 07:53 AM   #9

One thing to check out beforehand is whether or not your Road Wheel will actually fit in the Front Boot or Trunk. This could be an issue with those running 19's, 20's, and possibly even 18's - especially if you're loaded with Luggage.

If not, keeping the spare would mean leaving the expensive Road Wheel at the Roadside or gracing the Passenger's lap.

In that case, it may be better to carry a padlock and chain (to secure the Road Wheel until you can retrieve it), or a can of Goop, or an emergency plug kit (considered an improper repair without an internal patch, emergency only), or just a good old AAA Card !

Also, be sure to compensate for the extra load with your tire pressures !
1999 Porsche Boxster
(gone, but not forgotten)
http://i933.photobucket.com/albums/a...smiley-003.gif

Never drive faster than your Guardian Angel can fly!
Lil bastard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2008, 12:47 PM   #10

1. Drop the top.
2. Remove the roll bar inserts and center windscreen.
3. Place the towel on the clamshell.
4. Put the rim on the towel.
5. Secure it to the car with the bungee cords.

I had not thought about that option, I could not figure where I would carry the flat tire with both boots full and a passenger along. This sounds like a good idea, I will try it out with one of the rear tires from the extra set I have and see how it works. If it seems OK, I think I will end up taking the spare even though it occupys valuable luggage space,

Ed

2000 2.7L Boxster 102K; TTP intake, headers, high-flow cats; Dansk high-flow muffler; Autothority ECU chip; TechnoTorque 2; Bilstein coilovers; Racing Dynamics strut brace; stress-bar suspension kit; Aasco lightweight flywheel, B&M short shiftkit; 18" wheels; spare tire delete; OEM GT3 seats; JL audio speakers and subwoofer; Alpine PDX-5/PDX-2 amps; Kenwood DNX8120 CD/DVD/Nav; litronics, deambered
edevlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 11:05 AM   #11

Spare tire replacement... just the tire?

My spare tire will not hold 60 psi and it appears the PO drove on it with very little air in it due to the wear ring around the sidewall.

Anyone know if discount tire can order another tire that will fit the red donut rim?
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 11:19 AM   #12

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandallNeighbour View Post
My spare tire will not hold 60 psi and it appears the PO drove on it with very little air in it due to the wear ring around the sidewall.

Anyone know if discount tire can order another tire that will fit the red donut rim?
Sounds like the sidewall integrity has been compromised making it unsafe.

Any tire dealer can order the tire, however finding a dealer willing to special order this no volume seller will be difficult. Might be best to buy from someone parting out a Box. Just insure the tire has not been exposed to sunlight as this is what ages rubber much like our skin. Call the tire manufacturer direct for advice if you want a new tire.
Old 12-23-2013, 11:45 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandallNeighbour View Post

OK, it's official-- Randal now has the most repaired Boxster EVER! Keep on fighting the good fight Randall! You inspire me.
Old 12-23-2013, 11:53 AM   #14

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by woodsman View Post
OK, it's official-- Randal now has the most repaired Boxster EVER! Keep on fighting the good fight Randall! You inspire me.
Reminds me of the military guys that shipped a Jeep to their home 1 part at a time & then reassembled it when the war was over.
Old 12-23-2013, 12:24 PM   #15
Track rat

Garage
I'll never use mine so I would sell it to you for $100 Randall. The shipping might be a deal breaker though so check with your local Box Spec build shops first. Lots of them around.
Old 12-23-2013, 12:47 PM   #16

Garage
If youre going to take the spare with you, make sure it is properlly filled with air. I had no choice but to use mine and it was near flat. By the time I got to the tire place, the spare looked like the innerds of a zebra after a lion got to it
epapp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 04:41 PM   #17

WHAT...you mean there's a spare tire....WHERE.

Old Hippie Young Heart
2000 S/3.2 Liter/Tiptronic/Boxster S Sport Package/Cruise Control/Slate Grey Metallic
Red Special Leather Interior/Red Floor Mats/Red Hand Painted Instrument Dials/Roll Bar/Windstop
Small Carbon Package/Leather Wrap Carbon Wheel/Center Console Exterior Color/Alum Carbon Shift Knob
AM/FM Radio w/CD Player & Changer/Digital Sound Package/18" Turbo Wheels/Wheel Caps w/Colored Crest
jcb986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 07:14 PM   #18
I am my own mechanic....

I don't carry mine....
Timco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2013, 01:32 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timco View Post
I don't carry mine....
I do and it's checked for air pressure each spring- as an off-roader I follow the old adage" Prepare for the worst, hope for the best!"
Old 12-24-2013, 01:44 PM   #20
I am my own mechanic....

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodsman View Post
I do and it's checked for air pressure each spring- as an off-roader I follow the old adage" Prepare for the worst, hope for the best!"
I'm a city guy. All pavement. On the off chance I'll have a flat (one in almost 30 years of driving) I'll call for help. I keep my tires 1/2 tread or better and carry a plug kit and fix a flat.

Timco is offline   Reply With Quote