Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-26-2009, 05:41 PM   #1

What is this sound??? exhaust question

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-N0gG2d5grw

this is not my car, but I found this surfing youtube. I have a pedro muffler, which sounds cool at WOT, although mine is a bit raspier than the car in this video...this car has a much DEEPER sound, which I like...

the sound i'm referring to is as the engine revs drop, back to almost idel, in between throttle blips, there is this PPFFFFFFF sound... no other way to describe it.. listen to the video and you will hear it. as the revs drop, there is this funny sound...

under acceleration, under throttle, this car sounds wicked...at least to me..but my pedro muffler has the EXACT same sound, right as it gets down to almost idle..it's a weird sound, like the motor is coughing or something at the end..it almsot like hte car is hacking up phlem.... i hate it. myh car has this same sound. i don't like it.. wish it woudl go away. is this part of the muffler system, just the way the car sounds, is it something that can be fixed, or is this just the way all the boxsters/porsche motors sound.. i never really noticed it at all when m y muffler was STOCK> now that I have the pedro muffler, i hear it and don't like it.

i listened to the sound clip of the maxpeed motorsports car..the one they use to advertise the systme, and it had a similar nice deep sound w/out that phlem sound at low rpm...

my car is a 2.7. not suyre how much of a factor engine displacement is in teh sound, or model year, etc.

any advice? i'm thinking of getting a different muffler to avoid this sound as I don't care for it.

i found this clip of a guy with a 2.7 (same motor as my car) and if you listen to the first 30 seconds or so where he revs the stink out of it, you can just barely hear a touch of that same sound... i'm wondering if it's just the way the 2.7 sounds?

it was far LESS noticeable on the stock exhaust, and now with the pedro system you hear it a lot more. is it as the exhasut simply becomes more free flowing, more of this sound exits the exhaust and you hear it?

the PSE exhaust doens't seem todo it nearly asm uch as my car and the PSE sounds pretty cool.

2006 RL - My daily driver
2000 Boxster - Ocean Blue Base 5spd on Black Full leather. 18" wheels and M030.

Boxster mods I've added: Rear speaker kit, Painted Calipers, Painted Bumperettes, Painted Center Console, 987 Shifter Assembly, 3 Spoke Steering Wheel, Clear side markers, 03+ rear lights, de-snorkeled.

Last edited by 23109VC; 08-26-2009 at 05:53 PM.
23109VC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 05:57 PM   #2

that sounds like complete crap. i would be embarassed to drive that car. It sounds fine when the revs are up high.
Old 08-26-2009, 06:36 PM   #3

sounds like a honda civic with a cherrybomb exhaust
spine911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 07:14 PM   #4
Schatten-Baum-Mechaniker

better sound

This is what i want:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Gk5y_mpOW0
tommy986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 05:16 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by spine911
sounds like a honda civic with a cherrybomb exhaust
...and a couple of extra cylinders, and a completely different cylinder configuration...
Old 08-27-2009, 05:17 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommy986

Make that two, please! Very nice.
Old 08-27-2009, 07:16 AM   #7

looking at the picture of this muffler from the bottom, it is easy to make.
I think that that is the best sounding muffler I have heard yet.

look at the picture. Maybe 100$ in parts.
Pedro rear stabilizer bar, CF strut braces, Maxspeed headers with 100 cell cats, Fabspeed cat bypass pipes, H&R springs with M030 setup, TRG rear links, EVO air intake, B&M Short shift kit, Raby IMS upgrade, Raby underdrive pulley
jhandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 02:48 PM   #8

Great for a track car.... I'd be money it drones like mad under 3k however...
Old 08-30-2009, 11:12 AM   #9

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s9poqfZ4m2I&feature=related

here is another youtube video of a different boxster with an aftermarket exhasut, this one is speedart, and if you listen VERY carefully, you hear that EXACT same sound as the engine nears idle as it's decellerateing..

WTF is this sound? my car with a pedro does it, and these two cars do it, both with different exhausts...leading me to believe it's NOT "the exhaust" but rather some sort of sound the motor is making, and it's just audible coming out the exhaust , but it's not a sound that per se was NOT there, and then "there" once the exhasut was added...it's got to be something else making the sound.

is it just a characteristic of some MY boxster motors? my car is a 2000. judging from the fact that these cars on youtube appear to b e"S" models, and have the pre-03 rear bumpers, they are either 00-02 models...... maybe those particualr MY cars had some sound to the motor that was not as audible on later MY 886?

or is there something out of adjustment on the car that is causing it to make this rattling type sound at low rpm....????

here is another one I found....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v7A44uhtu58&feature=related

if you look in the comments to THIS video, someone, 10 months ago, posted "whats the sound, when the rews goes down?like crapy valve sound.."

even some other person noticed it..... so it's not just ME, it's n ot just MY car, and I don't believe it's my exhaust...this is something with the car or the motors..

i'm hoping it's something else on teh car that is worn or in need of replacement that is making that sound.

this is off the wall, but I know my water pump is failing..it leaks when the car shuts off and is cooling and it's gotten progrssively worse over hte past few months.... I have an appt to have it fixed next week... i am doubtful that this is the problem..but wondered if the failing impeller or sometjhing like that could be making a rattling type sound as the revs drop and you just hear it coming from the engine bay area and it sounds like it's the exhaust but it's not?? i know water pumps go bad on a lot of these cars and for all i know, these handful of cars have a similar failing pump?? not all the 986 boxsters with exhausts make this weird sound....

so it must be something besides the exhaust. now maybe it's an inherent characteristic of the motor...but given that it sounds so $hitty... i can''t imagine Porsche would have designed the car to sound lke that.... so my gut tells me that this is something that is "wrong" with the car, or out of adjustment, or worn, that could be fixed. it doesn't sound like something as simple as a loose heat shield or some kind of loose bolt...but who knows....

when the car goes in for hte water pump i'll have my mechanic look at it... and hopefully he can figure out what it is... but since this sound is prevealent on at least a handful of boxsters that are on youtube...i have to imagein someone here has heard this...or can listen to these clips and tell me WTF this sound is...

or is this how it's "supposed" to sound???
2006 RL - My daily driver
2000 Boxster - Ocean Blue Base 5spd on Black Full leather. 18" wheels and M030.

Boxster mods I've added: Rear speaker kit, Painted Calipers, Painted Bumperettes, Painted Center Console, 987 Shifter Assembly, 3 Spoke Steering Wheel, Clear side markers, 03+ rear lights, de-snorkeled.
23109VC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2009, 01:16 PM   #10
07 Carrera S Cab

Garage
My Dansk exhaust does not exhibit that raspy sound as the revs come back down, but it is also not as loud as a lot of these aftermarket exhausts. I think that noise is a byproduct of having less baffled mufflers, and is a character of the sound the car gives off if you don't have a muffler that is tuned specifically to cancel out that noise.

As you noted, the noise was not present when you had the stock, unmodified muffler on. I think the stock muffler does a great job of canceling out annoying drone and rasp, but as most people find, is too quiet. The factory PSE sounds nice, but also doesn't exhibit that annoying noise as it unwinds, so it's just a matter of finding another set up that gives you exactly what you want.

Previous: 01 Boxster in Arctic Silver, 86 944 in Guards Red
Boxtaboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2009, 04:17 PM   #11

It won't harm the motor, it is just the way the fuel changes are.... Also I think it sounds great!
BoxsterS21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009, 05:44 AM   #12

I don’t know ****************e from Shinola, but that won’t stop me from offering an opinion. I think that sound comes from the throttle body closing the rest of the way. The throttle is electronically (as apposed to mechanically) articulated, no? I’ve noticed that my car has very little engine braking immediately after closing the throttle, but the braking increases if I stay out of the throttle for several seconds, like when coasting to a stop sign. My wild and unsubstantiated guess is that rattle is a harmonic phenomena having to do with the throttle body closing the rest of the way.

Or, it could be the muffler bearings.
Old 08-31-2009, 07:05 PM   #13

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roosell

Good one! I gotta remember that!
rob76turbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 10:26 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roosell
I don’t know ****************e from Shinola, but that won’t stop me from offering an opinion. I think that sound comes from the throttle body closing the rest of the way. The throttle is electronically (as apposed to mechanically) articulated, no? I’ve noticed that my car has very little engine braking immediately after closing the throttle, but the braking increases if I stay out of the throttle for several seconds, like when coasting to a stop sign. My wild and unsubstantiated guess is that rattle is a harmonic phenomena having to do with the throttle body closing the rest of the way.

You might also be feeling the variocam changing to it's more conservative setting. But you may also be right about the throttle, I think there are some emissions requirements on preventing the throttle from closing too quickly.

-james

'01 Boxster S, 51k miles
'05 Mazda 6 Grand Touring Wagon
yimmy149 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 10:49 PM   #15

haha, that first clip is my car. I'm glad some of you think it sounds like a Civic, must just be the video. I get compliments a lot on the sound. It's coupled with cat bypass pipes now so it sounds even meaner. I'm up for something different now so, my Stebro race muffler will be for sale soon. I'm going with the PSE mod now to please a new passenger. She's annoyed by my exhaust and I'm annoyed by her constant displeasure with it.

It does have a reverse backfire to it that I love. I had it set up for the track a while back and it's mean!
yellowboxster01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009, 05:06 PM   #16
Bob Hindson Racing

Ah the beauty of human individuality. Life would be pretty boring if we all liked the same things!