Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-04-2006, 01:02 PM   #1

Racing Dynamics 987 Front Strut Brace Installed

I just installed the Racing Dynamics front strut brace on my '06 Boxster S. Easy installation; only took about 30 minutes or so start to finish including adjusting the width and tightening the allen head bolts in the adjustable joints of the bar. A 13mm deep socket works well to loosen the strut nuts and you will need two allen heads wrenchs to tighten the joints of the bar once the bar is positioned on the strut top bolts and cinched down.

It all fits under the plastic side cowlings and battery cover so you don't see it when the covers are back on the car. It seems like a very nice quality product. No complaints other than the fact that it costs $300 bucks.

I test drove the car but probably did not get near the limit to see the ultimate performance benefits that this modification offers. I suspect I will benefit most when my R compounds go on the car for the autocross or track days. I did feel like I was experiencing less cowl shake when I was driving with PASM in sport mode on some choppy pavement. Theoretically, I can't see how this mod wouldn't help a convertible even it is a very stiff convertible.

I'll post some pics when I get a chance to get them off of my camera.

Carl AMG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2006, 01:18 PM   #2

Talking

Sounds great.

What is the profit margin on this thing? Hey, I am in the wrong business.

Best of luck with it and thanks for sharing.

Hmmm, install pix on this anyone?

Brucelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2006, 10:39 AM   #3

Pictures

Installed - Front View
Old 03-05-2006, 10:42 AM   #4

Installed Pic #2

Side/End View
Old 03-05-2006, 10:59 AM   #5
bmussatti

Carl AMG, did you have to move the battery any?
Old 03-05-2006, 11:03 AM   #6

Slick! Too bad you can't see it all the time!

Brucelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2006, 01:14 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmussatti
No need to move the battery at all. It slips in nicely beyond the backside of the battery.
Old 03-05-2006, 09:53 PM   #8

Quote:
Hi,

Sometimes the Battery must be moved slightly, it just depends on how the Mechanic installed it. There's about 1" of available play toward/away from the Firewall. Just loosen the Battery Hold-down Clamp (10mm?) and move the Battery forward if necessary to get the cross brace behind it...

Happy Motoring!... Jim'99
MNBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2006, 04:32 AM   #9
bmussatti

What is the torque setting for the 13mm strut nuts (987)??
Old 03-06-2006, 06:40 AM   #10

I didn't have access to the torque specs for the strut bolts and used my experienced hand torque meter to get the job done. The strut bolts are not on very tight at all. I would guess they are in the 15 ft/lb range.
Old 03-06-2006, 07:01 AM   #11
bmussatti

Carl, I did a search, and found an old post from Jim (MNBoxster) and he states 26 ft.lbs. for the re-torque.

Jim, is this the same for the 987??

Thanks!
Old 03-06-2006, 03:40 PM   #12
bmussatti

Bump back up!
Old 03-06-2006, 06:10 PM   #13

They are nice strut braces. Installed on on a GT2 a few months ago, and there was still room enough to mount the Moton Canisters for the front struts to the bar With the covers on, you would never know it was there.
Old 03-06-2006, 07:44 PM   #14

Quote:
Carl, I did a search, and found an old post from Jim (MNBoxster) and he states 26 ft.lbs. for the re-torque.

Jim, is this the same for the 987??

Thanks!
Hi,

Yes 26 Ft. Lbs. and I imagine that it's the same for the 987. You need to be somewhat exacting and use a Torque Wrench as these Strut Studs will snap pretty easily if overtorqued - then you're replacing the Strut - $$$...

Old 05-04-2006, 01:25 PM   #15
bmussatti

Does the front strut brace "get-in-the-way" for future alignments?
Old 05-04-2006, 02:32 PM   #16

Quote:
Does the front strut brace "get-in-the-way" for future alignments?
Hi,

Not at all...

Old 05-05-2006, 07:36 AM   #17

The bar looks great and is a worthwhile update. I was curious if anyone knows if the addition of a strut brace moves one out of the stock class for autocrossing per the SCCA.
steve00s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2006, 08:37 AM   #18

[QUOTE=steve00s]The bar looks great and is a worthwhile update. I was curious if anyone knows if the addition of a strut brace moves one out of the stock class for autocrossing per the SCCA.[/QUOTE

I'm sure it does. You could easily remove it to SCCA autocross and put it back on. It wouldn't take more than 15 minutes or so to take it off.
Old 05-06-2006, 06:25 AM   #19

I would be interested to see if there really would be any noticable improvements with this mod. I did some auto-x with my 95 GTI VR6 that I had. I did the upper strut bars front and rear and I couldn't tell the difference at all. I then did some Suspension Techniques sway bars and felt quite a noticable difference, then later on a Quaife LSD and that was the clincher that really made the car rock. This was all on Koni Yellow's and Apex springs..

After that experience I never really bothered with strut bars after that as I just couldn't see the need for them. With the boxster having a 4pt cage already there it seems pretty stiff as is. I have not done any auto-x with my Box at all so if you see some results from them, please post I would love to see it. Maybe with a car that has no roof the difference will be more pronounced...
986Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2006, 06:40 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by 986Jim
I would be interested to see if there really would be any noticable improvements with this mod. I did some auto-x with my 95 GTI VR6 that I had. I did the upper strut bars front and rear and I couldn't tell the difference at all. I then did some Suspension Techniques sway bars and felt quite a noticable difference, then later on a Quaife LSD and that was the clincher that really made the car rock. This was all on Koni Yellow's and Apex springs..

After that experience I never really bothered with strut bars after that as I just couldn't see the need for them. With the boxster having a 4pt cage already there it seems pretty stiff as is. I have not done any auto-x with my Box at all so if you see some results from them, please post I would love to see it. Maybe with a car that has no roof the difference will be more pronounced...
Hi,

Trust me, the difference is quite pronounced. The Car handles better and is less prone to rattles and squeaks. Doing both the Front and Rear is maybe the best Mod you can make in improving the Car, not Sexy as both are hidden, but transforms the Car. The RollBars do NOTHING in terms of stiffening the Chassis, add the Strut Bars and find out...