Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-09-2006, 11:49 AM   #1

Need help: Heavy Clutch

I’m looking for some help from other Boxster owners.

I just recently picked up a 2001 Boxster S. I have a feeling that something may be going on with the clutch. The clutch pedal feels heavy. I drove a friends 1999 996 the other day and noticed a huge difference in his clutch. His was very light and easy to press, where mine takes a considerable amount of effort.

Now, my car only has 19,000 miles on it and is in great shape. Are the clutches in Boxsters heavier than other cars? Also, if I'm going slow, say in the parking garage at my work, when I'm letting the clutch in and out I sometimes hear a clunk when the clutch is engaging/disengaging. Is that normal as well? It’s been 5 years since the last time I owners a manual transmission car so I don’t recall what the others were like. Also, I’m not sure if I’m noticing more do to have the top down.

I bought the car at a Porsche dealer and paid to have it certified. I am now finding out, a month later, that they can't seem to find the CPO inspection paperwork. Does anyone know if the clutch in part of the inspection process for the CPO?

Thanks,
David

David_J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2006, 12:30 PM   #2

Send a message via AIM to blinkwatt
If I remember correctly a heavy clutch is a indication of the clutch life coming to a end in the near future.
Old 05-09-2006, 12:59 PM   #3

That's what i've always thought too. But it just seems a little early in the life of the car. Although I don't know how the previous owners drove it. I was hoping that this would have been caught in the CPO inspection.
Old 05-09-2006, 02:26 PM   #4

If the clutch was worn, they should have determined this on the PPI in my estimation, but I've never had a PPI so I don't know personally.

Mechanics are quite versed in worn clutches though... it's kind of a no-brainer for an experienced technician.
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2006, 03:27 PM   #5

Well I just took the car to one of the local Porsche specialty shops. They took a look at the car and took it for a test drive and said that it was fine. They explained that the clutch on the S is a little different that than the base Boxster and the 911 and that it would appear to be a bit heavier. They actually had a base Boxster there that just had the clutch replaced and it was definitely different.

Now that I've gotten a professional opinion on the car, I have some peace of mind.

I can now take the money that I was planning on spending on a new clutch and put it towards some mods.

Thanks,
David
Old 05-16-2006, 10:14 AM   #6

That sounds right. The clutch on my 02 S is a bit on the heavy side, but not a somthing-is-broken heavy but more of a this-is-a-beefier-clutch-so-of-course-it's-a-bit-heavy.

It actually feels like my girlfriend's 05 Mustang GT as far as heaviness (or maybe stiffness is a better word). To me it just feels solid.
Wintermute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2024, 06:08 AM   #7
Registered Member

Garage
2024 update

How has your clutch healed up after these posts? I have a 2004 S that I bought last summer with 70,000 miles and clutch is very stiff compared to a friends base model. The system was bled by a reputable shop recently and didn’t notice any change.

I am wondering if the clutch pedal boost spring is broken or if this could allow for some adjustments.
muledog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2024, 05:20 PM   #8

I bought my 03 base with 70k and replaced the clutch shortly thereafter, rivets had just started digging into the flywheel.
One of the po’s was probably an abuser.
986tate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2024, 06:25 PM   #9

Garage
I have found that the clutch is always lighter after I have worked on it. I have never changed a flywheel or pressure place and sometimes use a used clutch disk. I do cleanup and grease the splines on the output shaft and and replace the throw out bearing (or grease it). After assembly the clutch pedal always needs less pressure, not sure why.
1987 924S 5-speed (Sold) - Blue 2000 Boxster 5 spd (Sold)
elgyqc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2024, 10:57 AM   #10

David, with 19k miles your clutch disc should be ok, perhaps you want to remove the gearbox and replace the throw out bearing and lube the splines on the shaft, IMHO, there is no reason for it to be too stiff

PS: as a bonus, you would be able to see if the rear main seal is sipping or not.

Gilles is offline   Reply With Quote