Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-17-2006, 03:49 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by blinkwatt
they have those at harborfreight tools they are cheap chinese tools but they work just fine if you dont use them everyday

yfz/700R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2006, 08:15 PM   #22

Hmmm

So you want to drive a Porsche but you dont want to pay $120 for a transmission oil change? Maybe you are driving the wrong car, try a japanese car they are cheaper
chgolatin2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2006, 08:57 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by yfz/700R
what oil would you guys recomend for a 99 5 speed? i went to a shop that works on german cars the other day and they quoted me $120.00 to change the oil, they said it took 2.25 liters of porsche tranny oil @ $30.00 per liter so i think i will change it myself but i dont know wich oil to use. can someone recommend an oil that i could easily find at pepboys or wallmart???
Hi,

The best Manual Transmission Oil I have ever used is Red Line MT90. It meets the requirements by Porsche and makes the tranny shift smoother and run quieter. You'll need 2.4 US Qts. for the 5-Speed and 3.0 US Qts. for the 6-speed.
I have seen it sold for as much as $29.00/Qt., but this place sells it for under $9 - http://solotime.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWCATS&Category=53 Hope this helps...

Happy Motoring!... Jim'99
MNBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2006, 08:59 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by chgolatin2
So you want to drive a Porsche but you dont want to pay $120 for a transmission oil change? Maybe you are driving the wrong car, try a japanese car they are cheaper
well, i learned along time ago that most mechanics halfass when they work on someone elses car so if i can do it myself i will. i'm very anal about maintenance, i service my duramax every 3,000 miles, service my quads every other trip to the desert, service my turbo subaru sandrail every other trip and service the generator in my toyhauler every 20 hrs and i save alot of money doing my own work and i know its done correctly. some people have more money than brains . i have a little of both, i thank god i started with more brains than money though
Old 10-17-2006, 09:05 PM   #25

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by MNBoxster
Hi,

The best Manual Transmission Oil I have ever used is Red Line MT90. It meets the requirements by Porsche and makes the tranny shift smoother and run quieter. You'll need 2.4 US Qts. for the 5-Speed and 3.0 US Qts. for the 6-speed.
I have seen it sold for as much as $29.00/Qt., but this place sells it for under $9 - http://solotime.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWCATS&Category=53 Hope this helps...

thank you, i didnt know if i could use it straight or had to make a ''cocktail'' like i read in the other threads
willy
Old 10-17-2006, 09:06 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by yfz/700R
what oil would you guys recomend for a 99 5 speed? i went to a shop that works on german cars the other day and they quoted me $120.00 to change the oil, they said it took 2.25 liters of porsche tranny oil @ $30.00 per liter so i think i will change it myself but i dont know wich oil to use. can someone recommend an oil that i could easily find at pepboys or wallmart???
Hi,

I have the proper 3/8" 16mm Triple Square Anti-Tamper socket for changing the Tranny Fluid by happenstance, but I have a TipS, so I don't need it (the TipS uses a 17mm Allen wrench). It's unused and I think I paid $15 for it. If you want it, I'll give it to you for $15 incl. S/H... Let me know...

Old 10-17-2006, 09:12 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by blinkwatt
Hi,

Yep, from the looks of it, that's the one...

Old 10-21-2006, 10:53 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by chgolatin2
Your kidding...right??
Old 12-24-2006, 05:43 PM   #29

Can someone tell me definitively what two tools are needed to remove the drain and fill bolts on a 2000 Boxster S with a 6-speed trans?

I've got the 16mm triple square with the hole and a 17mm allen. I've heard there may be a different tool I need.

Additionally, where the 17mm allen is needed, is there a clearance issue? I ask because the allen socket I have is about 4" long. If it's for the drain, no problem. If it's for the fill and the clearance is tight, I'll have to cut the allen tool shorter.

Sold September 4th, 2007.

Last edited by Schnell!; 12-24-2006 at 05:58 PM.
Rodger is offline   Reply With Quote