Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-12-2006, 07:39 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by chgolatin2
Apparently I did the installed correctly however I didnt adjust the shifter cables, got it done today and finally I could say that the shifter does work nicely, no more knocking or metal hitting the housing. Silly me! Quess I dont have good mechanical skills, lol!
thank god!!!!! I have the schnell siting in my trunk still and can't decide to put it on or not.....okay, how is the shifting cause the normal shifter is rough into first when it gets really cold. How does it feel?

super66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2006, 11:54 PM   #22

i've got one in my 986 and i love it. it feels a bit notchy at first; the throw is a LOT shorter than you think. give yourself some time to get used to it and i believe you will be hooked. the stock throw is SOOOO long.

http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t...1/KMTGPR-1.jpg
insite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2006, 08:11 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by insite
FYI, Brandywine Porsche (i think) had an add in this month's Excellence for the factory short shifter (usually $450) for the 986 / 996 on sale for like $199.
I just talked to Brandywine. It is $250 and is actually a B&M. He said that Porsche sources them to make it for them but it is the same thing you can buy elsewhere. They do back it up with "Porsche warranty" whatever that means. They also said three hours installation. I bit on the high side...
ROW M030 Suspension
Front & Rear Strut Braces
B&M Short Shift & EVO Billet Linkage
steve00s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2006, 12:09 PM   #24
Porscheectomy

I bought the ebay kit. The aluminum is nicely machined and anodized. The shift shaft appears to be well made with a roller bearing in the hinge for smooth operation. Also the hardware is quality material.

I was a bit dissapointed with the plastics that they used for the bushings though. It appears to be a nylon. I had some teflon bushings made to replace both the cup bushings and the washers that ride between the shaft and aluminum housing. It should help to reduce friction in the linkage and improve effort and feel.

The teflon bushing is on the left, the stock on the right.

Last edited by blue2000s; 03-06-2007 at 04:28 PM.
blue2000s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2006, 03:33 PM   #25

Shifter

I miss the nice smooooooth flow with the oem shifter however the shifter is nice, shifting is shorter and faster and somewhat smooth but not creamy smooth, its a sport shifter so it will be a little different anyway I am happy. I did the install myself just make sure you adjust the cables once you install the shifter, also do a test drive before you re install all of the components, trust me it will save you tons of time. And NO, whoever charges 3 hrs for labor is CRAZY, the install is super easy and I am no professional mechanic. Patience and time will do the trick.
chgolatin2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2006, 03:51 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue2000s
I was a bit dissapointed with the plastics that they used for the bushings though. It appears to be a nylon. I had some teflon bushings made to replace both the cup bushings and the washers that ride between the shaft and aluminum housing. It should help to reduce friction in the linkage and improve effort and feel.
I take it you bought the $55/60 Ebay clone.

What kind of place do you go to to get teflon bushings made and where do you find the teflon stock?
Tool Pants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2006, 06:55 PM   #27
Porscheectomy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tool Pants
I take it you bought the $55/60 Ebay clone.

What kind of place do you go to to get teflon bushings made and where do you find the teflon stock?
Yup, the cheap-o parts.

I'd check with a freelance machine shop to get teflon parts made. They can often find material for you.

I installed the shifter tonight. As was stated above, it's not a hard job at all. My biggestproblem was getting the stock bushings off the housing. There was a lot of plastic flying around!

It feels great. I'm really happy with the shift action. It's still not as nice as the unit in the Miata, but I'm happy with it.

I'm a little worried about the ball-in-slot that replaces the ball-in-socket-in-slot used for side to side motion. The ball can wear a groove into the slot over time. Porsche's design is more robust. I guess only time will tell.

Last edited by blue2000s; 12-15-2006 at 07:26 PM.
Old 12-15-2006, 09:21 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue2000s
I bought the ebay kit. The aluminum is nicely machined and anodized. The shift shaft appears to be well made with a roller bearing in the hinge for smooth operation. Also the hardware is quality material.

The teflon bushing is on the right, the stock on the left.
Hi,

I suspect that the Bushing is Delrin, and not Nylon. It would most likely prove to be more wear-proof than the softer Teflon one over time...

Happy Motoring!... Jim'99
MNBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2006, 01:05 AM   #29
Porscheectomy

Quote:
Originally Posted by MNBoxster
Hi,

I suspect that the Bushing is Delrin, and not Nylon. It would most likely prove to be more wear-proof than the softer Teflon one over time...

Happy Motoring!... Jim'99
The yellow tint is the giveaway. It's the natural color of nylon. Delrin's white when not colored.

Teflon is typically used for bushing applications like this. It's the perfect application. Although Delrin would also be a good material here as you correctly state that it's wear restance is higher, it's friction coefficient is about 2.5 times that of teflon.

Last edited by blue2000s; 12-16-2006 at 03:01 AM.
Old 12-16-2006, 05:16 AM   #30

My buddy Ken made me some replacement "stock-like" shifter bushings on his lathe using some delrin stock. I had been using the stock shifter with the B+M bushings, but I wanted to sell the B+M (piece of notchy-shifting garbage that it was). They work awesome!
John V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2006, 01:45 PM   #31
Porscheectomy

This looks interesting. Anyone tried or seen it? Anyone ever seen any installation instructions?

http://www.bmracing.com/index.php?id=products&sid=4&cat=3&subcat=15&pid=317
Old 12-18-2006, 01:00 AM   #32

I have no experience but one of the local 996 owners has the unit that bolts to the transmission linkage.
Tool Pants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2006, 06:18 AM   #33
Porscheectomy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tool Pants
I have no experience but one of the local 996 owners has the unit that bolts to the transmission linkage.
Great picture. That explains exacly how it works. It's adjusting the throw of the linkage at the inlet to the transmission instead of at the shifter. I've never seen that type of short-shifter before.

On that particlular car it doesn't look like the new bracket is installed, just the lever.