Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-20-2006, 11:25 AM   #1

Wiring Harness to Window Motor

Here it goes. My Driver's side window stopped working a month ago and i figured from reading all the forums that is was the regulator or the motor. So replaced both of them and still no good. I ended up going to a mechanic who told me the harness to the window motor was no good and that water damaged it. So he order the parts through porsche . When he went to pick up the parts he was surprised with a the cost of 500. The porsche guy told him that they updated the part and it was a good idea to get a entire new wiring harness for this side and passenger side. I really don't know what they mean by the harness since there is a harness going to the motor attaches to the body of the car and plugs in right there. Anyway I got the car back and went to get it washed to my surprise the passenger window doesn't work now but the driver's side does. Not to mention that the windows both worked prior to the infamous car wash. No i am stuck with the window not working . If anyone has any input on this please reply. Also if anyone has ever had this problem with there 1997 boxster.. the guy at the dealership said it was very common for this yr. Also the mechanic i used opted to get new seals i think and other stuff that amounted to 150 instead 500.. again i have no idea what he ordered .

Last edited by clb0099; 12-20-2006 at 11:33 AM.
clb0099 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2006, 01:46 PM   #2

Hi,
I am not familiar with the 1997 issues. But I have replaced both of those things in my Explorer, so I am familiar with it a bit. In any case, the first thing I would definitely do is get a handle on what EXACTLY your mechanic bought for you. IMHO it's always good to know where your money is going.

Next, I would agree that changing the seals may be a good idea. Additionally, I would wrap the wiring harness in select places (using your best judgement) where there may be a possibility of moisture reaching a contact of sorts with electrical tape for good measure.

Also, when you press the buttons do you hear the motor working at all or is it just dead? Another thing, have you checked the toggle switches in the middle console? There may just as easily be a loose connection. Also, an interesting thing that I have learned with our cars is that if you have disconnected the battery when you worked on the window regulator, you may find that once you have reconnected it you would have to reset the reference point of the window (re: so that the window actually knows that it is closed all the way). In order to do this all you would have to do is depress the "UP" button for about 5 or more seconds with doors closed and convertible top fully engaged in the closed position, and I believe, with the key in the "ON" position (or with the engine on---this should work just as well).

If this doesn't work, hopefully some of the more knowledgeable folks out there can be of further assistance.

Anyway, I hope this helps Good luck!

Last edited by dcporsche99; 12-20-2006 at 01:59 PM.
dcporsche99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2006, 02:46 PM   #3

yes i tried the toggle switch already and got nothing i even tried switching the driver side toggle to the passenger side and nuttin. I hear a strange noise coming from the door that i am having problems with. It sounds like something is working but i must mention this did the same thing on my driver's side and then after a while of pressing the toggle switch it stopped making the noise .. I figured it must have died . When you replaced the harness did a mechanic do it or yourself?
Old 12-20-2006, 03:26 PM   #4

Hi,
Sorry to hear it did not do the trick. But, it sounds like the motor works. "It sounds like something is working but i must mention this did the same thing on my driver's side and then after a while of pressing the toggle switch it stopped making the noise .." From what you described, it also sounds like the regulator doesn't know that the window is actually up. Have you tried readjusting the guiderails where the actual window sits? Sometimes if it's not just right, the window just doesn't go up /down. If I were trying to troubleshoot, I would try taking the negative off the battery (as you previously did), readjust the rails, reattach the negative on the battery (as you did before), then do the little 5 second thing again and see if that does the trick.

No, I did it myself. I started doing my own stuff because one day I came across exactly what you described. I found that if I have the time, I would rather try to figure it out myself because of the ridiculous runaround and prices that many of these unscrupulous folks charge and also because I am curious about how things work. But, sometimes you just have to call it quits and spend the dough to get it just right.

BTW, I am sure I don't have to remind you to be careful of working near the airbag after you disconnect the (-)battery. SAFETY FIRST!!

Last edited by dcporsche99; 12-20-2006 at 03:37 PM.
Old 12-20-2006, 03:47 PM   #5

BTW, just thought of something...it might be silly, but I would double-check and triple-check the placement of the motor one more time. I am sure you have already considered the probability of it being in reverse....who knows. I know when I'm stressed out it's easy to miss something.

After this though clb0099, I honestly don't think I would have any other ideas except to call it a day and be glad that you didn't get hurt or break something and bring the darn thing in to a qualified Porsche mechanic

Sorry, I wish I could have helped you out more.

Last edited by dcporsche99; 12-20-2006 at 03:49 PM.
Old 12-20-2006, 03:47 PM   #6

porsche do u have aol if so please message me on arlindanchris and if u have yahoo message at arlindanchris too would love to pick ur brain for a second
Old 12-20-2006, 03:55 PM   #7

Hi,
I'm not an expert that's for sure, but feel free to contact me at: dgc1999(at)optonline (dot) com.
Old 12-20-2006, 04:01 PM   #8

e-mail me please then i will respond for some reason i am having trouble e-mailing you arlindanchris@aol.com

Last edited by clb0099; 01-01-2007 at 12:00 AM.
Old 01-01-2007, 12:22 AM   #9

Update

Alittle update on my non working passenger window. After taking it apart I had noticed that water had gotten to the wires which connect to the window motor. What basically happened is the wires rotted so much that they actually broke apart making it impossible to get any current to the motor. So when I went to the dealership they told me porsche did a "update" instead of recalling it since all the 97's had this problem. I bought all new seals the wiring and everything I needed to recreate the harness with out actually getting the entire new harness. The new harness was 450 and the option i took was 165. Keep in mind when my mcehanic fixed the driver's side for the same problem it was 165 (parts) plus 320 for labor. I got the new parts and will be dropping them off at the mehanic. I also have a new motor and regulator going to be installed as i did with the other side. After th mechanic fixed the driver's side I waterproofed the wiring boot/seals myself. I first had a little gap in the seals cause a clip broke which can only be bought if you get the entire harness. So I got crazy glue and put on the lip of the rubber gasket and sealed it closed. After letting it sit for 10 mins I then used a blk water proof silcone made for outside of houses an went around the seals very neatly so it looked factory . I got my first test the next day since it rained hard and with the door panel off I so no water anywhere near the wires going to the window motor nor anywhere else. In total for the waterproofing maybe 10 bucks. My mechanic said it was the seals that were updated and not really the harness itself. I will post pics of what I am talking about so people maybe run into the same problems. The car just passed it's 10th b-day and things are due to fail but as long as there are DYI for somethings the mechanic bills balance out.