Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-27-2002, 11:55 AM   #1
JT
Administrator and Founder

Oil Change

I know that with the Mobil 1 oil in the car, Porsche recommends an oil change after 14,000 miles. Or was that 7000. None the less, I am picking up a car with 2800 miles that is 1 year old. Should I have th eoild changed or continue with it ?

Thanks,

JT

Old 05-28-2002, 05:44 PM   #2

The recommended oil change interval is 15,000 miles. If you are one of those paranoid types you should change the oil at 2,500 or 5,000 miles. But you should ask the previous owner first if he already changed it.
Another S in S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2002, 11:09 PM   #3
Forum Contributor

I'm planning every 6k

Based on mydriving habits
Grantlax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2002, 06:47 AM   #4
Forum Member

I made an initial change at around 1200 miles (guess I am one of those types). With a purchase, I would change it so you know it has been done and know exactly what is being used.
Old 08-09-2002, 03:49 PM   #5

Oil

Synthetic oils are rather unique: They will definitely last much longer than natural oils (hydrocarbon oils). The best way to identify when it is time to change oil is by color. Most synthetics, such as Mobil 1, are a slight amber when new. They will hold their color fairly well during their lifetime. When they start to deteriorate (breakdown), the color will begin to rapidly darken, almost to a hydracarbon oil color. My recommendations are to change them before the color change. Of coruse, drviing conditions will have significant influence. My plans are around 8,000-10,000.
ehljags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2003, 10:01 PM   #6
Forum Member

I am completely new here, but i am seriously interested in getting a used boxter when i get back from deployment. I have read alot of concerning things thou and it seems like that oil changes are differnt on porsches then other vehicles. I have had a Jeep for the past 5 years so whatever info you guys can give on routine maintenance on a boxster would be wonderful.

I specifiaclly would like to know how mcuh a oil change cost at a dealer.

I think i can handle the task myslef since i am a decent guy working with a car, but a boxster is new territory.

How hard is the mid engine to get to and work on...do you how much you spend on the porsceh just to keep it on the road?

Just some things for me to factor in cause I don't want to spend my hard earned money and find out I can't keep the car cause it cost too much to drive!!! Hopefully you guys understand where I am coming from... Thanks again for you help...later

mike
Concept986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2003, 05:46 AM   #7

Oil change on a Boxster is one of the easiest I've ever done. About $60 for the oil and parts. First time you'll need to purchase a couple of "special" tools (filter can wrench to fit the Porsche part, correct size hex wrench/socket for the drain plug) and some low clearance ramps (if you don't have your own lift ). Total DIY cost for a first change ran about $100 including the tools.
Old 05-22-2003, 07:31 AM   #8

Been changing oil on cars since I was 13 and that was a long time ago. The Boxster is the easiest. Hope my pic works. Jeff
Tool Pants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2003, 03:12 PM   #9

FYI, some photos of the oil change process are posted on this site.
Old 05-23-2003, 12:20 AM   #10
Forum Member

Great help guys, I was thinking it was goign to be something more technical since ya know its a porsche, but donsn't look any differnt then doing a change on my jeep, actually I think the jeep might of been harder, I could never get to that damn oil filter...anyhow, thanks guys

Mike
Concept986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2003, 02:57 PM   #11
Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to bigbadbob0
I'll take everyones word that an oil change on the Boxster is easy. But let's be honest here, it can't be any easier than my truck:

I can sit up underneath it to get the drain plug and I can get the oil filter through the drivers side wheel well with just an ~8" extension.

Does the boxster really take 9qt of oil? Wow.
bigbadbob0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2003, 06:56 AM   #12
Forum Member

Anybody using a Topsider or similar device for Oil Changes

I've been hooked on using a (Topsider)suction device for Oil changes for quite a few years now and would like to continue, Anybody else use one of these devices on their Boxster?

Old 05-31-2003, 02:51 AM   #13

People have tried it and it does not work on a Boxster. I forget the exact reason. Something like you cannot get the hose into the sump since it has a very long way to go . Jeff
Tool Pants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2005, 06:26 AM   #14

Documentation

I was researching these old threads about changing the oil and have a simple question: How are you guys documenting that you changed the oil? Are you putting on note in the maintenance record or something? I am just wondering how I can prove my own oil changes when it comes time to sell the car...Also, thanks for the pics toolpants!
RC-12 Guardrail
RC-7 Crazy Hawk

"If the wings are traveling faster than
the fuselage, it's probably a helicopter--
and therefore, unsafe" --Unknown
Rail26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2005, 06:31 AM   #15

Keep a detailed maint. log, and keep your receipts for filters, oil etc.

Usually that will suffice. Few folks buy oil and filters and then not use them!

Brucelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2006, 08:16 AM   #16

test

Quote:
Originally Posted by spud
I made an initial change at around 1200 miles (guess I am one of those types). With a purchase, I would change it so you know it has been done and know exactly what is being used.
test test test
Juan Caprici is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2006, 09:10 AM   #17

The test worked
1995 Honda Civic *Track Toy*
1971 Olds Cutlass Convertible
1968 Camaro SS 396 4 speed
2000 V Star 1100
BadBoyS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2006, 04:00 PM   #18

Hey...an old thread back from the dead!!! Rail, do as bruce says and you should be more than fine. I don't even keep my receipts for the crap i bought. I just write down the date and mileage in my owners manual when I do the maintenence.
Adam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2006, 11:24 AM   #19

I just purchased an '05 Boxster. The manual states first service isn't due till 20k. Anyone here go that far? I can't imagine so myself. I don't have 2k on it yes but plan on doing it at 2500 or so. I have used Mobil 1 exclusively since it came to market and even with it's extended protection I can't see letting it stay in that long during break in.

Any thoughts, guys?

Peter Schwarzenbauer

My car @ Car Domain

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...nstalled01.jpghttp://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...nstalled02.jpg
Arctic Silver '05 Silver Boxster
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2006, 12:00 PM   #20

Talking

I think if depends on how long you think you are going to keep you car. If you tend to hold on to your car post-warranty, I would change the oil and filter every 7500 miles with M1 0W-40.

If you are the kind of guy who sells or trades when warranty is over or before, I would NOT spend ANY extra money on services like this.

Hope that helps.

Brucelee is offline   Reply With Quote