Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-22-2003, 03:06 PM   #1

Thumbs up PSM Rocks!

I had a chance to participate in my local PCA region's autocross school this past weekend - one of the events was a "skidpad" exercise to take the car to the limits of the friction circle, and to learn to steer with the throttle instead of using wheel movement.

After a few fast laps around, with the car refusing to skid despite increasing speed, I realized the PSM was still on - once it was shut off, immediate massive tire squeal and dramatic sliding ensued!

The amazing thing was that, other than for the lack of sliding/squeal, there was no "feel" that the PSM was doing something to change the handling. It all felt normal, albeit a bit less dramatic - but I'd be perfectly happy to trade off some drama when encountering a tight wet offramp a little faster than desired in the real world...

donv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2003, 11:01 AM   #2
Regional Moderator

Definitely I want it on my next car. I've had a few surprises on the wet with the P-Zeros. A little extra insurance would be well worth it!
CharlesGordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2003, 09:00 AM   #3
Forum Contributor

A "driving training" definitively makes fun !
I was invited by my Audi dealer for a security training last year... try to skid with a S3 with AWD and ESD... impossible without disactivating at least the ESD (=PSM).
Then this winter we went on an ice circuit. Best driving exipience I ever made ! (OK, don't try the ice circuit with your Boxster )

Markus
mx33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2003, 10:12 PM   #4
b0xt0La

what is PSM?
Alienz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2003, 05:47 AM   #5

PSM rocks

I don't like all this electronic stuff. I ordered my BoxsterS without it.

The car industry is going to more and more heavy, understeer cars with muchy power and all kinds off electronic **************** that you can't turn off or automatically are turned on again when you hit for example the brakes. Not my thing at all.

Don't get me wrong. I think that Porsche did it right with the PSM. You can turn it off fully, and it is a rather nice, non-intrusive system. So buyers, drivers can make up their own mind whether they want to put their money down for it. I didn't and am still very happy with that choice...

Mark.

markk is offline   Reply With Quote