Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-23-2024, 04:07 PM   #1

Center caps cost HOW MUCH???

Hey guys, so I have been slowly restoring my Boxster, Cliffy, since I bought him in September. My partner has complained about the wheels being in really rough shape, which they are, and I'd like to cross that item off the list soon.

I've ordered the products needed to repaint the wheels, but the center caps are also in pretty rough shape. Buying 4 new center caps would cost me $240, which feels expensive and I'd like to try to DIY the center caps I already own, since I'm DIYing the wheels already. Considering I'm spending less than $100 on the paint, sandpaper, and masking materials it feels silly to spend over twice that much on the center caps.

Does anyone have any ideas on how to go about painting the center caps? What kind of paint should I buy? Do I paint it on with a brush or spend hours and hours of my life masking the tiniest details in order to spray the paint on? Do I finish with a clear coat? Do I strip the paint and then do a primer and color layer before painting the details and finishing with a clear coat?

I'm sure nobody has done this before, so I'm not really asking for first hand experiences, just best guesses on where I should start.

Old 04-23-2024, 05:30 PM   #2
Motorist & Coffee Drinker

Garage
Do you use Facebook? Do you trust strangers? For $25 (a few times) I took a chance and have a bucket full of spare plastic emblem center caps.

They used to be fairly common on eBay, but I suspect they are not Genuine and were removed and banned.

If you have any of the metal emblem center caps, the adhesive is probably about to let go.
Secure your center cap crest
Old 04-24-2024, 04:44 AM   #3
1998 Boxster Silver/Red

Check Craigslist. I've seen sets of 4 (and have so purchased) for $50. I've aaround 3-4 sets laying around.

Here... Google works...

https://nwks.craigslist.org/pts/d/huntington-beach-inch-porsche-cap-wheel/7738263289.html

I purchase, I believe, from that seller.
Old 04-24-2024, 06:02 AM   #4

Not sure what you're talking about? Lots of center caps on eBay.....some are priced at only $28 and $39..... Yes a few are priced way high but most are very reasonably priced.
Old 04-24-2024, 10:24 AM   #5

Have you consider a Miata?
faverymi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2024, 10:47 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by faverymi View Post
Have you consider a Miata?
LOL! Isn't that the answer to every car-related question?
redpepperracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2024, 11:38 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starter986 View Post
Check Craigslist. I've seen sets of 4 (and have so purchased) for $50. I've aaround 3-4 sets laying around.

Here... Google works...

https://nwks.craigslist.org/pts/d/huntington-beach-inch-porsche-cap-wheel/7738263289.html

I purchase, I believe, from that seller.
Thanks! I hadn't really considered looking at shipped options from places other than eBay. The best price I could find on eBay was $220 for a 4 pack and your guy is a MUCH better deal.
Old 04-24-2024, 12:04 PM   #8

Garage
You could consider buying a set of wheels, there are a lot of them out there, some with good tires and good center caps. I was looking for new tires a couple of years ago and found a set of wheels with good tires and center caps for less than the cost of a set of tires, then I sold my old wheels. Another time I needed some 16" tires for my 928, bought a set of 4 boxster rims, kept 2 tires and sold the rims for the same price I had paid.
1987 924S 5-speed (Sold) - Blue 2000 Boxster 5 spd (Sold)
elgyqc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2024, 12:57 PM   #9

I bought center caps from this guy on Rennlist for $65 and the quality was great..

PS: https://rennlist.com/forums/market/1251658

Last edited by Gilles; 04-24-2024 at 01:04 PM.
Gilles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2024, 07:40 AM   #10
WALDMEISTER

Garage
I just ordered those center caps for my Fuchs wheel, 140€ (w/o tax) a set @ a PC/PZ. They will fit MOST LIKELY any other (71mm center) Porsche wheel.
You cannot order them online on their parts website, you have to contact a PC/PZ. You won't find those anywhere else...and it HAD to be THEM for me, of course.

Hopefully the crest won't fall off, like it did on my other center cap.

Last edited by BRAN; 04-26-2024 at 10:11 AM.
BRAN is offline   Reply With Quote